• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-44 rear

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy who knows a kid from a local jeep group in MASS selling a d44 for 250 and i'm thinking of buying it but i'm not familiar w/ axles and what not so considering its so cheap (he says its in "good" condition) is there anything you guys would say i should look out for before buying it, or is this more like i wont know till i install it and drive it if something is messed up? Thanks for any info.

I know when I buy any used anything I do a full inspection of the parts before I make a purchase. As for checking it out? I'd pull the cover, check the gears, seals for leaks (although with it used I'd replace them anyway before it went under my rig), condition of brakes (if your going to run them), etc.

Pay attention to the differential bearing lands (under the bearing caps) to make sure it hasn't spun a carrier bearing, the same with the pinion. Of course I would do a rebuild on all of the bearings before I would install it - you would have to take it apart to inspect the bearings anyway.

That's a good deal. I'd jump on that.

Would you still say its a good deal if i end up rebuilding the whole axle anyways? Or at the point would it be smarter to just buy a new D44?

It's a factory XJ 44, right? Then yes, 250.00 is a good deal. There are getting a bit scarce, and I've seen them for 350-400.

I bought mine a couple years ago for 200, pulled the shafts for my new TJ 44 housing, and sold the XJ housing for 150.00.

edit: as far as being smarter, depends if your time is worth more than your money. Only you can say that. You could have it built with alloys and a Detroit Locker for like 1200.00 (plus gear install if you have someone do it). It'll bolt right in. No brainer to me.

Back