• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard pack shackle angle?

xj_ftw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i built some bastard packs from my old xj springs and some newer s-10 springs. The s-10 were 5 leaf packs. All i did was put the xj main leaf on top. I figured it would be fine. I went to install it on the jeep and the only way i could get the rear eye to line up with the shackel was to completely move the shackle forward. Now the shackle is resting on the mount with the end pointing towards the front of the jeep.

How do I fix this delema? Do I need longer shackles or do I need to take a leaf out. The pack has a pretty good arch to it. They are stock shackles. I would preffer not to buy shackle relocation brackets.

I did search but cant really find anything relating to my issue. Thanks for the help.

i did the same bastard pack build but i didnt take the sping off the mounts.i took the center pin off with two c-clamps fore and aft of the axle. i then used the main spring of the s-10 pack and the 2nd sping at the 3rd position in the new pack .i got a little more than 3" of lift. after my last wheeling trip i ordered a two inch lift kit to add this weekend it seems you can never have enough, its a sickness i think......

There are lots of rigs here that suffer from the inverted shackle angle. Shackle relocation brackets were invented so to speak to correct this. Other options would be boomerang shackles or revolver shackles. You can search those and find the pros and cons of each. The price you"ll pay for shackle will be close, if not more than the reloc. brackets. I say buy HD relocation brackets ( support a vendor) and never look back.

Do a search for "Shackle relocation brackets" They are made by one of our members and alot of us run them, myself included.

just to throw this out there if u got a 5 leaf s10 pack thats actually the older ones that have a like 1150 spring rate, i personally am running the newer ones that only came with 3 leafs and are rated somewhere around 950. im on a 2 inch shackle also and my shackle angle is pointed back just a bit past verticle but i actually have a really nice smooth ride and get alot of flex out of them.

oh haha i thought they were newer because they have no rust on them! :)

is there anything i can do besides getting the relocation bracket? like getting a larger shackle? because im broke!

Not if you are broke. Ride it out till you get $ to fix it the right way first if you can. You can run a dodge main leaf as your main. The ends are the same and so is the front bolt to the center pin. The big difference if I remember right is that it is about 1.5" longer from the center pin to the rear mount. i.e.--better shackle location. But if you are broke that info main not help either unless you have a full size dodge van sitting out back.

what kind of dodge might you be talking about because that sounds like it would be cool to put a dodge main on my s10 pack to make it a true full length pack and good shackle angle

ok well apparently flexing the axle a bit fixed my problem! the shackle is sitting a tiny bit towards the front of the jeep but its not vertical. so i think ill be ok until i can afford the relocation brackets.

all in all my bastard pack set up net me about 6" to 6.5" of lift! for free i might add!

ok well apparently flexing the axle a bit fixed my problem! the shackle is sitting a tiny bit towards the front of the jeep but its not vertical. so i think ill be ok until i can afford the relocation brackets.

all in all my bastard pack set up net me about 6" to 6.5" of lift! for free i might add!

That seems like alot of lift,how many leaves are in the pack?

There are 6 leafs in my pack. I got them from my friends boss. I talked to him the other day and apparently theyre aftermarket leaf springs. he used them for towing and hauling. He said they maid his s-10 raked out! lol

i measured from the top of the tire to the top of the fender area and it was about 9" and after the pack was installed the gap was about 12". but mind you there were already 3" blocks the previous owner installed. so it net about 6" or so! im very happy with the outcome but dissapointed about the drive angle. SYE here i come!

Back