• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint matching question!

YoureASissy

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure where I should have posted this....

I have an 01 XJ - stock color is Stone White. I had to replace the driver side door, with a black one, and I'm trying to find rattle can paint to match up. I've found Duplicolor has a match for it, but I can't find it anywhere.... Online or in any local shops.

Anyone know of any outlets or resources I could use to match the paint? I don't want to pay to have someone do it.... (I also would like to stay away from spending $40+ for a match from the dealer)

Plus, I sanded it down today and I've already primered it.

Thanks in advance!

A rattle can paint job is still going to look like a rattle can paint job even with color matched paint.

I would PM "Bronzewyrm" and see if he would be up for a side job of painting your door (the good way).

If you're set on the color matched paint I had some made up at Bobs Paint Land in Hazel Dell (WA). I think I paid like $12 a can for it, and they were able to get it pretty close to my faded 20 year paint.

I bought some from paintscratch.com. Paid 12 bucks a can, too, and it matched up. Don't know how a surface like that will turn up with a can, though. You really should try getting a body shop to quote you to paint that door. It might surprise you how cheap it can be.

I would PM "Bronzewyrm" and see if he would be up for a side job of painting your door (the good way).
t.

did he do yours? how much does he charge? my fiance's chrysler 300 just got keyed... gotta love Everett.

There are several paint and body guys in the local area who are much more experienced that I am, but here are a few points from my experience.

1. Like has been said, rattle can paint is rattle can paint, it may look better than black but it won't look like it should.

2. Prep is more important than anything else.

3. You can have the actual auto body paint mixed up in a spray can for you and it would likely be MUCH better than a rattle can job.

4. If you buy a quart of the actual paint and spray it with a cheap gun and a cheap compressor it can come out pretty good with a little practice. The better the equipment, the more experienced the operator the better.

5. You might want to consider pulling the door and stripping it to paint it inside and out.

Michael

x's 2, John (Bronzewyrm) does good work. He did my pass fender and header panel and they look great. And a good deal too.

Called the Jeep dealership and they referred us to Quality Paint Products in Hillsboro, we ordered a paint match for $8 a can for 8 oz.

Again, this is temporary until I can commission someone to paint my entire rig gunmetal gray. :laugh3:

Thanks for your help!

x's 2, John (Bronzewyrm) does good work. He did my pass fender and header panel and they look great. And a good deal too.

heay thx ryan:wave1:.

id like to know what kind of primer you used on it 1st. a good way to tell if its ok. get some laquor thinner and try to wipe the stuff off. if any comes off on the rag,its crap! "sorry"

i can do the door for $100 plus material, if that primer on there is no good then it puts you in a rough spot.(we can disscus later) did you primer the door inside and out? covering all of the paint? or just spots where needed?

its no big thang at all for me to shoot the door. and i can come up wth the paint ez as hell so thats no biggie either. let me know if your interested. you could pick up the door the next day from me. i just need the paint code befor you head down.

Bronze.

you can get a can of color matched single stage paint at foster auto parts for 20 bucks. I painted the door on my supra this way, and it came out great. i can snap some pics tomorrow if you want.

Back