• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting the spring pack clamps??

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well basically ive got a suspension setup that im pretty content with right now, but would like more flex in the rear. more droop then stuff really. would cutting the spring pack clamps give me more flex. also would i have to worry about breaking the main leaf, or leafs falling out??thanks:cheers:

Cutting the clamps will give you a bit more droop but the downside of this is the leafs will slide out of alignment when wheeling hard. You will constantly be realigning you leaf pack to get it to ride right. A total PITA.

If you want to do this the get some clamps such as the ones on the RE leaf pack. These longer clamps will allow the springs to droop still and keep the leaf aligned so they remain stacked on each other.

you cant just add clamps like that to an existing pack, they are rivited in to the spring. and if you have ever tried drilling into a leaf spring....i don't think you want to try to dril and bolt/rivet them in place. shops have huge punches that punch holes in springs for that. maybe you could take them to a shop and have them put those style clamps on your pack.

muddygp said:
you cant just add clamps like that to an existing pack, they are rivited in to the spring. and if you have ever tried drilling into a leaf spring....i don't think you want to try to dril and bolt/rivet them in place. shops have huge punches that punch holes in springs for that. maybe you could take them to a shop and have them put those style clamps on your pack.
Drilling spring steel is tough, it's like trying to drill through weld. I have, however, had good luck drilling through weld with a carbide tipped masonry (hammer drill) bit. Don't drill too fast, use steady pressure and flood it with cutting oil--------Hans

The work required for this mod doesnt seem to justify the gain. I doubt you would see much from this but I guess its worth a shot. Spring and shackle location adjustment would yield the best results in my opinion.

Mick

Back