• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires....Iroks, TSLs, Krawlers

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to decide on tires for my CJ7. Will be sprung over, D60's, stretched wheelbase.

I run a lot of muddy trails, stumps, roots, slick stuff..Looking at 39.5" Iroks, 42" Iroks, 39.5-42" TSL, or the 39" Krawler. Will be on a 17" beadlock rim. Looking for some feedback on the Irok and Krawler mainly. I know how well the TSL performs in mud, but the Krawler is super strong and that is what interests me about them.

TIA

I run 38 TSL/SX's. If I could have afforded them I would have bought the krawler. Seen that tire do things IROK's only dreamed of. Excellent in wet (rock) conditions. Out performed the IROC and SX every time.
My $.02

For muddy trails with roots and rocks, Iroks or SXs. The Krawlers don't do as well in the slick stuf, IMO.

But what do I know, I run MTRs. :D

I run 35 tsl's, but after runnin my buddys bronco, i'm goin to 38.5" irok's

If you get a chance to look at them unmounted, compare the sidewall thickness of the IROK to the TSL. IROK's look cool, and csrtainly have their place, but ask my buddy how much he like replacing one (39'5- 16'5 on hummer beadlock rims) at a cost of $270 due to a huge gash in the sidewall. If you're going to wheel the tyoe of terrain you mentioned, keep that thought in the back of your mind. I have no experience with Krawlers, and for the asking price, probably never will, but bias TSL's seem to hold up much better around here than most anything else. We run pretty much what you described, plus a little loose rock (old coal mine ground stuff) and some bigger rocks. FWIW- my buddy cut his on a rock that another buddy with TSL 39.5's has been over several times with no incident.

I have the 39.5 Iroks. I love them, are they a mud tire? NO. Will they work in muddy hill climbs, probably but not as good as a mud tire would. Iroks are made for rockcrawling. You do not have to get them heated up, they bite very well. I also have them mounted on 17" allied beadlocks. If you are familiar with some riding around Alabama and TN. I have been up everything at wheeling in the country, and several hard trails at Grayrockorv.com . Personally I will never change from an Irok.

Went on a run last night with a TJ who had 35" Krawlers, they where really great in rocks aired down. He had staun internal beadlocks because he said he was always popping the krawlers off the rim w/o them.

Eliminate one....if you run mud...IROKs are not for you....unless you have a LOT more horsepower than I think you do...you gotta SPIN a IROK to keep it from packing up...there is no middle ground with them and gooey mud...there simply isn't enough void space and the lugs are relatively small...I can't speak for Krawlers...never even seen a set in person. But the TSLs.....they are the schizit in mud. And the sidewalls are strong.

Back