• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some ideas.CO2 mount.

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching through the site, and through Google for this site, but it wasnt picking up the "CO2" word.

Looking for some ideas on where to mount my CO2 cylinder. I have a fair amount of crap in the back of my XJ, so it may not fit in the normally obvious spots. I am building a mount for the bottle, so I can make it work just about anywhere.

Just looking to see what everyone else has done. I want this thing mounted solidly so I (or my passenger) am not decapitated should I get in a wreck. Its pretty darn heavy.

This is a fairly recent picture. The tool box is bolted through the floor (metal and all), and I feel sure it wont move, but dont think it will support the added weight of the tank (even though you can clearly see the tank strapped to it in the picture, this was just temporary). The box thing on the right side is made mostly of wood, and houses my second battery, and back-up compressor etc etc. Its not strong enough to hold this tank either. Looking to bolt it solidly to the floor and or the sides.

DSCN1342.jpg

Like I said, the mount itself I am making, and can make it pretty much any shape needed, I just cant figure it out. Looking to mooch off of some others. I have stared at it for weeks.

~ Stump

No one reads anymore... :D

I dont need the mount, I was just looking for ideas on where to mount it based on what I already have in the Jeep. Was hoping folks would show me what they have done with theirs, since the search didnt turn up anything.

Thanks, ~ Stump

I just let mine roll around. :) I actually have move my bottle 3 times and still am not happy with its location. can't wait to get some ideas from this thread.

If the tool box is mounted securely and you like where the tank is in the picture, bolt your mount to the side of the tool box and the bottom of the mount to the floor similar to the tool box.

Is that a steel 20# bottle?

Here is how I usually bolt my 10# tank, I bolt the mount to the inner metal on the driver side where the spare tire used to mount and add a brace to the bottom to the floor. You may or may not have enough room there between the tool box, I can't tell.

Excuse the mess, cleaning up after a trip.
IMG_5619.jpg

I'll excuse the mess but not that sagging headliner :gag: :roflmao:

I would put it in the same place as Mosephus, maybe pulled a bit further toward the D pillar.

Can't bolt it to the toolbox like you said though, because Stump says it probably won't handle the force (and I wouldn't be surprised if he's right, those tanks are heavy and that toolbox looks like the one I have, which while awesome is not intended for that kind of abuse.)

Thanks for the replys,

Mosephus, if yours is a 10lb bottle, then mine has to be at least 15# if not a 20#. I honestly dont know... I got it for cheap. It last forever, is easy to swap out, and works like a champ. I would say based on yours that its a 15# tank. Its not light when full.

I dont think mounting it to the box would work, but would like to leave it in that general area. I am thinking of a mount that bolts to the floor and also to the c-pillar/old seat latch area. There is a decent amount of material in there, but the mount will be a pain to fab up. Guess I know what I am doing tomorrow... unless someone comes up with something better. Too bad you cant use these things laying down.

I will post up pics of what I come up with...

~ Stump

(Nice looking Choco Lab BTW, I have one as a co-pilot as well. She is my baby, second only to my wife.)

DSCN0994.jpg

That would certainly be ideal, but I dont want to move my tool box... Maybe I just need to build my cage so I have a place to mount this thing!

All righty. I decided to just go ahead and build something and see what happens. I spent about 5 hour on it today, and should be able to finish it up tomorrow. I am happy with it thus far.

Lots o pics.

Started with some left over sheet metal. This is 16 guage.

DSCN1924.jpg

Here is roughly where I want the bottle to go.

DSCN1925.jpg

Drawing out the pieces. Again, just going off the hip here... no idea what it will look like at this point.

DSCN1926.jpg

Cut out and smoothed out, and bent.

DSCN1927.jpg

A little hand rolling, and a quick test fit.

DSCN1928.jpg

Cut out the side pieces, drilled some speed holes (wish I had a dimple die set), tacked, welded, then smoothed back out.

DSCN1930.jpg

DSCN1931.jpg

DSCN1932.jpg

DSCN1933.jpg

DSCN1934.jpg

DSCN1935.jpg

Started on the lower lip for the bottom of the bottle. Hand rolled it, and muscled it into place.

DSCN1936.jpg

DSCN1937.jpg

DSCN1938.jpg

Welded in a piece of tubing for a brace. I am leaving the top open for the coil hose to be stored in.

DSCN1939.jpg

Couple pieces for the rear, using my redneck engineering sheet metal roller.

DSCN1940.jpg

DSCN1941.jpg

DSCN1942.jpg

DSCN1943.jpg

Started making the side support wings for the upper portion of the bottle.

DSCN1944.jpg

I happened to have these studded rubber isolators laying around. I split one of them in half, and used them for bottle stabilizers/isolators.

DSCN1945.jpg

Got a little fancy with some frenched in bolt holes.

DSCN1946.jpg

DSCN1947.jpg

DSCN1948.jpg

Welded the wings on...

DSCN1954.jpg

DSCN1953.jpg

DSCN1950.jpg

Just a quick test fit in the Jeep. It will get three bolts through the floor, and 3 bolts throught the inner sheet metal on the side wall, right where the old seat belts used to come out.

DSCN1956.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

And, finally for the day, test fitted the rubber isolators.

DSCN1959.jpg

DSCN1960.jpg

Will finish it up tomorrow.. still need to build a strap, and a few little odds and ends, paint it and bolt it down.

~ Stump

Last edited:
Back