• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP NEED INFO- BLONDE DUDE NEEDS HELP MANUAL TO AUTOMATIC

romadhill

NAXJA Forum User
Frst thank you for the help, i think this is my first post and i have always found the info I have needed just searching so thanks guys, your all the heat. "Im in the military in germany so my options, recources and knowledge were limited, please keep that in mind." I have a 96' XJ that is 2WD with a 4.0 and a manual transmission. It is OBDII and i finailly have it running descent after months of headache. I also have access to an older jeep with the renix engine/auto that i wanted to use parts out of for a 4WD conversion. But thinking about it I would also wrather have an auto as i did before. I want the tranny/xsfr case out of it and i want to throw it in mine.
I need help from all you XJ savvy gents to help me with all the technical stuff like is the auto computer controlled, or is there something i need to do to mine to be able to run the auto? I need any info, links, pics, or just tormenting you guys have. Ive got 5 months before i come home and i want my XJ tearing this country up well before that. OH, and for the help when i get home to hit up some of those jamborees ill bring the beer :cheers: -ROMAD OUT

You bringing it back to the states when you rotate out ? If so be aware that the tranny is also part of the OBDII. Unless you have access to the correct parts most of us figured out the 2 > 4wd conversion is alot of work acquiring parts. I've not seen a 2wd up close often enough to remember, look at your tranny, does the tailshaft unbolt ? If so you *should* be able to bolt up a 231 or 242 to it and solve the transfer case problem. Then it's just a matter of getting the correct length drive shaft for the rear, both driveshafts from the donor vehicle might work but I really do not know. 8MUD is over there now, lives there in germany, he has sources that you might be able to to tap...

Yep, I looked down that road already, my tailend does unbolt and the xsfr will bolt right up, but i need an output shaft from advanced adapters because the input on the 231 is not what i have. I think i have a 29 spline and need a 31? Its something like that. But the doner xj is older "non-OBDII" with the auto i want. Mine is 96 manual with no sensors to my knowledge. IF i can just swap the auto in it already has the 231 so all ill need are driveshafts. So is the older auto a 1 for 1 swap, or does semething need to be done............thanks for the help.

Don't know, I've not owned an auto tranny car in about 30 years. My wifes sedans don't count... all our jeeps are manuals as was my S10 and my trooper before that.

romadhill said:
Are all the AW4's computer controlled or are there any like the old chevy 700R4's ?? If they are all computer controlled is there a way to bypass the need for a computer??
they are computer controlled, but when I swapped one into my MJ which had the Peugeot manual I made an electronic manual controller rather than swapping all the AW4 wiring in.

ive been looking at the manual for a bit and ive been searching some more.....are the computers maybe a one for one swap? Like i said i have a donor xj, but its german specs and its the renault era...... any thoughts?
:helpme:

thakns bretm, one q besides the previous post :) will your little gadget control the tranny or is the computer needed. Keep in mind im swapping in an auto, not just making it a manual/auto. So my computer is still from the ax-15. Im just trying to get all the info before i go ording parts and tearing apart two jeeps.

Yes, you can use the info from Bretts site to make a "manual" controller that will control the shifting via flip switches, rotary switches, etc. You could simplify things by using this instead of the auto trans computer to manually apply power to the appropriate solenoids. You will still need to hookup the shifter to be able to put it in reverse, park and neutral. Still also need the throttle body -> trans cable hooked up.

Actually, if you don't hookup the computer at all, you'll get 1st gear with the shifter in (1-2), 3rd gear in (3) and 4th in (D) and no torque converter lockup.

Im going from the 2wd pungent to aw4/231 in my 89. w/ 3 aw4's, 2 231's, a non disco and a disco dana 30 and matching dana 35's, an awshift kit and 2 parts trucks, I just may have all I need, finally! I am sure I will still be at the store trying to get the last peice I need to finally get it back on the road, "sorry sir, we dont have it in stock, youll have to wait 7 weeks for it to show up"!!
Good luck on your install, Jeremy

Jeremy, wemen want you and rocks fear you, in other words your the man. I was getting kinda discouraged not getting much info. Im gonna call that w4 shifting and see what i can get? I appreciate the info and if you have this build going if you could take some pics and tell me the up's and downs id like to follow the build. OH, and i know what your talking about with parts..multiply that by 10 and you have what i have here in germany. Damn i cant wait to be back in the states. :) Thanks agian.

:clap:

lawsoncl said:
Yes, you can use the info from Bretts site to make a "manual" controller that will control the shifting via flip switches, rotary switches, etc. You could simplify things by using this instead of the auto trans computer to manually apply power to the appropriate solenoids. You will still need to hookup the shifter to be able to put it in reverse, park and neutral. Still also need the throttle body -> trans cable hooked up.

Exactly. The controller can be used without the factory tranny computer, but you will have only manual shifting.

BrettM said:
they are computer controlled, but when I swapped one into my MJ which had the Peugeot manual I made an electronic manual controller rather than swapping all the AW4 wiring in.

Hey that is exactly my situation: 89 MJ with Peugeot, have an AW4 to swap in with tcase included. does this mean if I get that controller I don't need the other computer at all? I suppose that means it is always manumatic though with no switch to make it auto?

purvisdotcom said:
does this mean if I get that controller I don't need the other computer at all? I suppose that means it is always manumatic though with no switch to make it auto?

that would be correct. if you have some electrical (soldering and wire tracing) abilities, putting a TCU in isn't all that bad. i put a '99 AW4 into a '96 manual, and controlled it with a '92 TCU.

Back