• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB gas tank

mcantar18c

NAXJA Forum User
Doing a tank relocation on a buddy's XJ. His is a late model so it has the plastic tank, so we need the earlier model steel tank with the big pinch seam around the edge.

720-220-3157

I'm fairly certain the gas gauge in his late model won't jive with the early model tank.

Did you check for/find any threads here on doing this tank swap?

I think it's possible one from a '96 might work though........ :dunno:

I'm curious about this as well - if I end up keeping Heep III, I'd planned on moving the tank up, but was gonna build a drop pan to set it in. Using an older style steel tank would be much easier......

Haven't looked for threads on this, didn't occur to me that it'd be much of an issue... I mean yeah, the tanks aren't exactly the same, but they're similar enough that it wouldn't be more than a few % off right? Assuming the sensor mounts in the same area on the tanks.
Why might a 96 work?

Yeah our plan is to cut out enough floor to fit the tank through with the pinch seam resting on it, and brace the edges with angle iron, then drop the tank in and drill holes through the pinch seam and angle iron/floor, and bolt er up. Then build some kind of skid under it.
Much easier than building a pan for the plastic tank to sit in, IMO.

The two tanks are quite a bit different actually. Size, shape and internals.

I was thinking the '96 might be do-able because of OBD II. No other reason.

The two tanks are quite a bit different actually. Size, shape and internals.

I was thinking the '96 might be do-able because of OBD II. No other reason.

Ah, well that's a beyotch.

I figured we'd just use the sensor from this tank to solve the OBDI/II issue.

Idea.... think the plastic tank would fit inside a metal one?

idea. use a factory skid for the drop pan.

maybe?

Yeah, I've been looking for a pre-'97 skid to sit the '97 tank in. The '97+ skids don't cover all sides/corners - kinda open.

Troy, do ya think the plastic tank would fit inside the metal one? Cause that'd be perfect... drop the metal tank in as planned, then cut open the top and maybe put hinges on it or something and use it as the drop pan for the plastic tank...

You might be able to use the lower half of the old style metal tank as a cradle for the plastic tank to sit in, but no, it won't fit "inside" it, the '97+ tanks are dimensionally larger.

...... using the lower half might be a pretty decent idea. :dunno:

I don't think the pinch seam would last long supporting the weight of a tank of gas ; bouncing around for very long jmho

Actually, if the hole is only as big as the "bowl" part of the tank, the pinch seam - being an inch and larger around on all sides - would easily support quite a bit of weight as long as it's secured with numerous screws or rivets all along the seam into the cargo floor.

The draw back to using the old tank as a cradle for the new tank is that the new tank will stick up higher than if an old tank were used. I believe the pinch seam on the old tanks is low on the belt-line of the tank, meaning you'd be removing the "deeper" part of the tank - being the top half.

Depending on the contours of the halves, it's certainly possible to use the top half of the old tank as well if the newer tank would sit in it reasonably well...... if any of that makes sense.

Actually, if the hole is only as big as the "bowl" part of the tank, the pinch seam - being an inch and larger around on all sides - would easily support quite a bit of weight as long as it's secured with numerous screws or rivets all along the seam into the cargo floor.

The draw back to using the old tank as a cradle for the new tank is that the new tank will stick up higher than if an old tank were used. I believe the pinch seam on the old tanks is low on the belt-line of the tank, meaning you'd be removing the "deeper" part of the tank - being the top half.

Depending on the contours of the halves, it's certainly possible to use the top half of the old tank as well if the newer tank would sit in it reasonably well...... if any of that makes sense.

Yup, makes sense :thumbup:
We're gonna take a trip to CAP sometime in the near future... they're bound to have a few. As long as the plastic tank will sit inside the metal one, it doesn't matter how the rest fits, that's what angle grinders and welders are for :D. If we can fit the tank in the top half of the metal one, that'd be even better... I'll post up the results.

Back