• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a little tech help

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys just thought id hit you all up to see what you think. i have a 94 xj lifted and all that but my problem is that it over heats when the ac is turned on but only when its really hot out. ive been driving it around all week with the ac on but its only been in the low 80's but then friday its 100 and on my way home it overheats! well not really but it gets up to about 210 when its normally at 185 so it shouldnt get that hot just cause of the ac. and once i turn off the ac it starts to go back down pretty quick. so im stumped. i also had a problem with it getting really hot when i went crawling up in big bear with no ac in the morning driving up the hill it just got really hot. its got a new triple threat aluminum radiator new water pump i just put on cause i thought that might help new thermostat the motor is relatively new like 10000k fluids are all good.

so any thoughts on this would be awesome i just cant figure it out.
im gonna pull my thermostat tonight cause it got stuck open cause it got too hot but i mean its just weird haha
thanks in advance guys

210* is the normal operating temp for Jeeps. If you are running at 185*, it's running cold and/or rich.

I suggest replacing the t-stat with a 195* and flushing the system.

Then, see what it does.

Your temp gauge could also be off. You can use an IR thermometer at the t-stat to verify that your gauge is working correctly.

E

Fan clutch or aux e-fan isn't working.

hey guys i appreciate the comments and help
the first thing is my gauge on my dash usually reads right about 210 but the second mechanical gauge i installed coming out of the thermostat housing reads like 185
as for the fans the only fans i have are the triple fans on my radiator thats just how i bought the jeep its an ff dynamics set up thats supposed to be really good so there is no fan clutch or shroud to speak of
as for the tstat it is a 195 but opens a little early so and when i went to fix it today when it because it was stuck open idk if i put the gasket back on wrong or what but i was leaking from behind the bottom bolt and from where it has the second chamber for the temp sensor for the computer
but still my biggest issue is that it heats up so bad when i turn on the ac it heats up at least 35 degrees when its hot out and maybe 10 when its average heat

1st problem i see is that ur radiator is to big.. triple threat means 3 core?

alot of cooling problems start with replacing the stock radiator with a bigger one .. bigger doesnt always mean more water means nor will the water cool faster.. the radiator works as a heat transfer device.. the bigger the radiator the more air u have to push through it to properly cool the water . the 3 fans fans wont help if the air is not flowing through the fins properly .. the problem i see is that when u turn on the AC the CONDENSER! which is also a radiator for the AC system is located in front of the radiator .. when u turn ur AC on As hot compressed gasses are introduced into the top of the condenser, they are cooled off. As the gas cools, it condenses and exits the bottom of the condenser as a high pressure liquid.

so this in turn will cause excess heat to build up into the radiator if the air is not flowing correctly through the 2 radiators . so my suggestion is HOW DOES THE FINS ON THE CONDENSER LOOK>? are they meessed up meaning not perfect ..if the fins are damaged by a rock or by u installing the new radiator the whole system will not work correctly .. this is why u have a problem with the AC ON the condenser is workin creating more excess heat.if the heat cannot be transfered through the condenser and then throught the radiator fins it will create more heat which in turn will heat the radiator up . with it off it shuts the heat off and the air is flowed(as much as it can through the radiator to cool the water.

in conclusion no matter how big the radiator or the fan is or how many fans u got .. if the air is not flowing through the fins correctly u will not cool at all ..

Last edited:
Your radiator/fan setup is a great setup. You could benefit, however, from a shroud setup. FFdynamics makes a shroud kit for the triple threat fan kit. It helps. I have found that mine runs just below the red zone on my gauge when it is over 90* out and I cannot make it run cooler as of yet. It never boils over though so I think my gauge might not be accurate. Also, if you run the tranny fluid through the radiator, you are better off using an aux tranny cooler and not running the tranny fluid through the radiator.

Your radiator/fan setup is a great setup. You could benefit, however, from a shroud setup. FFdynamics makes a shroud kit for the triple threat fan kit. It helps. I have found that mine runs just below the red zone on my gauge when it is over 90* out and I cannot make it run cooler as of yet. It never boils over though so I think my gauge might not be accurate. Also, if you run the tranny fluid through the radiator, you are better off using an aux tranny cooler and not running the tranny fluid through the radiator.

jeeperjohn i appreciate the piece of mind on my radiator set up haha that makes me feel all that much better. as for the shroud do you think you can send me a link to find it so i know exactly what youre talking about? and yeah mine has never boiled over and my mechanical gauge i installed always reads below 220 even when my stock gauge reads at the red so i get you on that one
i do plan on putting on a tranny cooler but i think im gonna put it inline with the radiator too so its extra cool
thanks for the input sir

i do plan on putting on a tranny cooler but i think im gonna put it inline with the radiator too so its extra cool
thanks for the input sir
If you do that put it before the radiator because the hot tranny fluid will reheat the coolant right before it goes back into the engine. The shroud kit was not on their website last time I looked but I am sure if you call them they can tell you about it. I am also about to put a 70 amp relay on the fan wiring because I have burned out 2 of the 30 amp relays recently and I don't need any surprises when I am out in the desert. If you wanna chat about this setup more PM me.

jeeperjohn i appreciate the piece of mind on my radiator set up haha that makes me feel all that much better. as for the shroud do you think you can send me a link to find it so i know exactly what youre talking about? and yeah mine has never boiled over and my mechanical gauge i installed always reads below 220 even when my stock gauge reads at the red so i get you on that one
thanks for the input sir

hmm adding more heat to the mix before u even fix the problem .. hmm let me knw how the works out for ya .

hmm adding more heat to the mix before u even fix the problem .. hmm let me knw how the works out for ya .

what i meant by th tranny cooler in line my tranny is already run through the radiator so i want to install a tranny cooler before the radiator so that the fluid going into the radiator is that much cooler going in so less heat for the rad to cool

as for your thought on the condensor that has been a though of mine from the get go i just havent had a chance to really look at it well i plan on doing so soon but i did not install the set up the previous owner did so its possible something was damaged

just an update i installed a new thermostat because my last one got stuck open (that is the default when it gets too hot apparently) but this new one has my motor running hotter closer to the 210 range so possibly my last thermostat was off however that 210 reading im getting is from my aftermarket mechanical gauge i have in the thermostat housing my stock gauge read today at a little more than 220 id say
its the second temp sender ive had and they both have read the same so maybe i have a bad ground to the block or maybe it really is that much hotter at the back of the motor sorry little muse to myself

A lower T-stat won't fix the problem if it gets hotter than 195 anyway. Think about it...if the T-stat opens fully at 195 and it runs hot the t-stat probably isn't closing anyway. That means the radiator isn't cooling enough (fans or radiator itself).

Back