• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Mount Bushings

MCatlin13D

NAXJA Forum User
After struggling most of the afternoon I'm at a loss. I am trying to change out the axle mount bushing for my UCAs to help alleviate some DW issues as I have changed all tie rod ends, caster angle checked out, alignment is good to go, and the tires are in balance.

Now I have heard horror stories of the passenger mount collapsing so I am very hesitant to bang on it harder than I already have. The bushing is not moving at all. I was thinking a three jaw puller but the tornado warnings and down pour stopped me before I could try as I work in the yard, no garage.

Any advice on how to get them out, both sides. And then what is the proper direction of the flanges on the bushings for re-install?

88 Cherokee -4.5" of lift, adj trac bar, stock uppers, fixed lowers

I used a propane torch to heat up the bushing metal outer shell, then punched out the molten, gooey rubber chunk. This leaves the metal shell in the mount. If using the urethane bushings, they slide into the metal shells (after the rubber residue is cleaned out-more torch and a cotton cloth pushed through the shell). If using OEM type rubber bushings, the shell should fold and fall out with a couple of whacks, once the rubber core is out. Two issues: the melting, burning rubber generated a huge amount of smoke and nasty stink- pick a suitable location to do this, outdoors. The urethane bushings really decreased ride quality by transmitting too much vibration for my liking. I would not use urethane control arm bushings again.

Back