• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it? (Tire Question)

DSN46

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question here to those who have experienced this.

I'm going to up-size tires soon. I currently have 31's and want to know if there is enough difference between 32/11.50 and 33/12.50 to matter?

With the 32's, I can get away with minor trimming with the 4+ inches of lift I have now. Obviously 33's will require more, and there is more chance of axle damage (dirty-turdy-five). So, is the 1/2 inch of height from the ground and the 1/2 inch of width out both sides worth it?

Those that have crossed this bridge please give me your thoughts.

Thank you,

James

Depends on what you are going to do with it. Some say the D-35 is taxed with even 31's and 33's will be asking for trouble if you wheel it hard.

BTW,with trimming you can run 33's on 4" easily. Personally I wouldn't bother with the 32's and you could likely find 33's cheaper. You will also want to think about re-gearing as you performance and milage will suffer with stock.

I went from stock to 30's to 31's to 33's and am now building for 37's.

Decide what your ultimate configuration will be and do it once. (wish I had listened to all the guys that gave me that advise) :rolleyes:

the non-clip 35 is said to be a better axle. I am in the middle of a project now and am planning 35's on a D35...until it breaks-then full-widths. I wheeled with a guy that ran 34's on a D35 and it did quit well, until on of the bearing cap bolts snapped (on the road) after wheeling it for more than a year.

.......so to answer your question--yes it will break the question is when.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I was leaning toward 33's to begin with, but just wasnt sure. MY plans only include "backwoods" and medium trail duty. I wont rock crawl due to it being a daily driver and I cant have it go down on me for more than a couple of days.

Also, I have an appointment for 4.56's next month... was gonna do it whether I went bigger tires or not anyway. I've had 2 previous 4X4's with 4.56's and I am kinda hooked on that ratio now.

Thanks again for the input.

James

I am running 32x11.50's on 4.5" lift, it clears pretty decent, I know 33's would have some serious rubbin action.

I got around pretty good in the snow covered trails on the tires, especially for how bald they are. They will work well for you

I've run both sizes. 32's will get you alot of places, but I really like having the 33's. If your regearing next month why dont you spend a little extra and get an C8.25 out of a 97+ XJ? there cheap, plentiful, and for the terrain you mention they will hold up fine to 33's. Just some food for thought.

Several incarnations of my jeep ago, I ran 32x11.5's on a 4.5" lift and a dana 35. They fit well with no trimming at all, on stock wheels.

It took me almost 6 months and 5 wheeling trips to blow up my dana 35. I was unlocked, on stock gears, driving up a hill and gave it a little too much gas - but mind you, far from full throttle. It was a 1987 non c-clip dana 35 with about 38,000 original miles (I have a very low miles jeep).

32's on ~4" lift = A+
32's on a dana 35 = bad call, start shopping for a minimum a '97+ 8.25.

If i were you, I'd try and pull an 8.8 from a junkyard with 4.10's and a dana 30 from a 4cyl jeep (also 4.10's). Plan on going to 4.56 eventually, but with 32's 4.10's would get by. That would get you geared and stronger, probably under $500. Shopping around locally I could probably do it for under $300.

4.5", 32's, no trimming.
dsc00435.jpg

dsc00434.jpg

DSN46 said:
Also, I have an appointment for 4.56's next month... was gonna do it whether I went bigger tires or not anyway. I've had 2 previous 4X4's with 4.56's and I am kinda hooked on that ratio now.

Thanks again for the input.

James

What would that mean for your drivability having 31's and 4.56?

It would mean more power, higher rpm's on the highway as well. Not really a loss of gas mileage, as the engine wont have to work as hard to maintain the higher RPM's. Better control offroad, too.

I used to run 4.56's with worn out 32's and loved it, it was a great combo.

splitz said:
What would that mean for your drivability having 31's and 4.56?

Just like mentioned above, higher rpm's, more power, etc. I know a couple of guys who have had the 31's with 4.56 combo for awhile and liked it until they got 33's. Loved it with 33's....

I think I might just stick to 32's after all. I dont have access to any 8.8's or 8.25's here in central Missouri. Every, and I mean EVERY junk yard here thinks they are dealing in gold!! I've never seen people who want $500.00 for rusty D30 HP front axle like these guys do. Its amazing really...

I am concerned for my D35. It is Trak-Lok'd (not a locker I know) and I dont want to give that up at the time. I have seen guys in my club run D35's with 33's and 35's and not blow them, but I suppose they are running on borrowed time.

Thanks again for the insight guys.

James

Back