• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Drive shaft thread

xj2001jz

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
So I took your advice and removed the front drive shaft (very easy if i could do it) and boom, no more vibration! Well, some in the rear but man its nice and quite now. Thanks for the great advice however what does that exactly mean? do I have to buy a new one? They are expensive! Or can i take it some where to get it "fixed" not even sure whats wrong with it. Any ideas? I still have a few months until the snow hits but I would like to take care of this ASAP. Thanks again.!!!

If removing the front DS got rid of your vibrations, then it's time for a rebuild of its Ujoints and centering ball while you're at it.

I just dealt with trying to rebuild a front driveshaft, wow what a pain in the azz. Here's what I would do; check around some shops and see how much it would cost to have it professionally rebuilt (3 Ujoints [1310 series], 1 centering yolk & ball, possibly balancing). This usually runs about $240 here in Jersey.

Then theres the option of pulling or finding a stock driveshaft in good condition from a yard or something (I wouldn't pay over $60, I've seen them normally asking $100+ at yards and ebay condition unknown)

Or you could buy it new [$300+ (I'd pass on that)]

Or look into Tom Woods Driveshafts, he may be able to just make you a custom one to that same driveshaft length for a little over $200 IIRC

Bottom line: call around to some driveshaft shops and see if you can get a good deal.

Last edited:
sorry to hack the thread but why do driveshafts need balancing Im just curious because i have a spare from driveshaft and i would like to rebuild it...

sorry to hack the thread but why do driveshafts need balancing Im just curious because i have a spare from driveshaft and i would like to rebuild it...

They are balanced when they are manufactured, or there would be plenty of p/off new car customers. The driveshafts are balanced to prevent vibrations and premature u-joint failure, as well as reducing impact on the pinion bearings.

So, when do you need to re-balance a DS? Usually only after major work like shortening it or replacing a damaged end, or you might have scrubbed off a DS weight running over something.

Simply replacing u-joints is not a cause for having it balanced.

I was at a local parts yard today and found several front drive shafts, all in very good condition. On my way out I asked the price (thinking of spares) and the yard quoted me 42 bucks. Might be worth a shot to pull one yourself and try it out before spending big bucks on a new one.

Assuming you have a 2001 with low pinion front Dana 30. If you have a decent size lift and transfer case drop, this is relatively common due to bad pinion angle. If not, it is probably just u-joints or the slip joint went bad and its time for a new shaft.

Back