• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan runs on 4 only

Harrum

NAXJA Forum User
Fan only runs on 4. Ive replaced the internal circut board and the fan speed dial with one from a wrecker. Put it all back together and still only runs on 4 :dunno: So either it is such a common problem that even the doner XJ suffer the same fate or there is another issue... Could it be the motor its self, or something completely different?

Fan only runs on 4. Ive replaced the internal circut board and the fan speed dial with one from a wrecker. Put it all back together and still only runs on 4 :dunno: So either it is such a common problem that even the doner XJ suffer the same fate or there is another issue... Could it be the motor its self, or something completely different?

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you're in a '97-up model.

If so, the usual cause of what you're seeing is the blower motor resistor going out - which itself may be a sign of the blower motor gradually preparing to croak. Went through three resistors in four years before the blower motor finally died; each resistor had a progressively-shorter lifespan.

It's probably the blower motor resistor. It's up under the dash on the passenger side. The blower defaults to run only on high when it fails. If I remember correctly they are about $30 at NAPA.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you're in a '97-up model.

If so, the usual cause of what you're seeing is the blower motor resistor going out - which itself may be a sign of the blower motor gradually preparing to croak. Went through three resistors in four years before the blower motor finally died; each resistor had a progressively-shorter lifespan.

Yeah, I agree with casm--time to start thinking about replacing the blower motor too.

Back