• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banging from front end?

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I take my XJ offroad with swaybars disco'ed, a loud banging will happen. I think its somthing hiting or sliding against the front of the coils because i can see that their is some paint being scratched away. I dont think its the pins that the sway bars connect to on the bottom, because it seems like its to far for them to hit. I cant figure it out. Going up hill especialy is when it seems to make the bangin sound. Has this happened to anyone else, any ideas? BTW i have 4.5 " RE coils

my XJ does that too but im pretty sure its the jonny joint in my lower control arm it had some play in it before i just havent fixed it yet try checking those it can make a clunking banging noise just my thoughts..

I know you commented that it seems to only happen when you have the sway bar disconnected, but a broken motor mount (which is common with the 4.0) will make a banging noise, particularly when the engine is under load. Check the motor mount on the drivers side ... it is the most common one to go.

Les

lifted? mine bangs all the time, i dropped my driver coil loose under flex and it reseated itself further backwards, it rubs on the bumpstops and produces a loud banging that makes my not so seasoned passengers worry about it. Check the bumps to see if there is any sin of contact around the bottom of them and if so check your coils to make sure they are seated properly around the bumpstops

I kinda get this to i get mine with the sway bar connected to and it is only off road. Mine is a clanking noise and i think it is the coils compressing and decopmpressing but it sounds like they are hitting something while moving???

is there any way to simulate condition while someone looks for you?
find a big rock at the park or something of that nature

Back