• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Rear Axle U bolts

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I been looking around for U bolts for my Dana 44 rear axle (2 3/4") without much success. I could have some made up at a local spring shop, but they quoted me $100 for 4 u bolts! I looked around a bit and I found a very good price on some 2 7/8" axle U bolts at a local auto shop (i.e. they're 1/8" larger than ideal).

I refuse to pay $100 for about $10 worth of U bolts, but I've found a set of four 2 3/4" U bolts on line for about $35 delivered so worst case, I could go that way but I don't really want to wait for delivery.

I'm thinking the 1 7/8" U bolts will work just fine but I'm curious about other opinions. Thanks for any advice.

the 2 7/8 will be fine im using 2 1/8 on my 8.25 wich has a 3" tube wthout a issue

You should be able to find some varying length ones at most generic auto parts store. I pick up a set of rather long ones a my local Kragen auto a while back. They weren't all that expensive from what I can recall.

Bolted them up and then just hack sawed off the excess threads. Those were used on my 8.25 axle with 3" tubes. When I recently installed my D44, I used the same u-bolts...they work just fine.

Back