• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post '97 woody... Anyone done it?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
For the sake of avoiding obsessing over scratches and dents on the doors and side panels of my 2001, I'm really itching to do a woody throwback on it... I know this isn't exactly the right place to ask this, but my broke *ss hasn't been able to donate yet (to become a full member and use the picture forum) and I want to toss it out there.

Has anyone applied wood grain vinyl to a post '97 XJ? I was thinking of applying it in the same position as it was done from the factory in earlier models (Wagoneers), just below the upper crease in the sheet metal, down through the plastic side trim. From there on down it'll be rhino liner...

In any case, if you've done this to your late model XJ, I'd love to hear/see it. My first car was an '87 Grand Wagoneer, and I miss it enough to let some influence creep into my XJ.

After reading the thread title I thought you were going to do it up with some real wood veneer, until I saw the broke a$$ part... Go for it man. It'll still scratch and dent though, won't it?

After reading the thread title I thought you were going to do it up with some real wood veneer, until I saw the broke a$$ part... Go for it man. It'll still scratch and dent though, won't it?
The scratching and denting is why I'm leaning toward vinyl over actual wood veneer, as veneer would theoretically be more fragile and require some degree of maintenance over its lifetime (staining, varnishing, protecting, etc.). Real would be awesome, but totally impractical in my world :p

I'm sure it'll scratch and dent, but it'll hide things far, far better than the factory black paint. Plus, if I can find the right vinyl, I think it'd look pretty damn good (I'm trying to find a grain in the style of the old Wagoneers but a darker tone). Now I just need to figure out the faux wood "trim" that they put around the wood grain vinyl, and if it's even worthwhile.

I think it would be awesome! I almost bought a '92 briarwood, but the price wasnt right. But I was thinking how cool it wood be to take a newer model with airbags, throw on early fenders and chrome grille, wood trim and older style wheels.

Nice, thanks for the tips! I'm leaning away from that style of laminate for that very reason... It'd be nice to have the option of removing it if things don't work out as I'd like (or it needs to be replaced).

I've been thinking about talking to a stealership about ordering the actual vinyl from the original XJ Wagoneers, as it'd be pre-cut (or a body shop, as they may have access to non-Chrysler/AMC alternatives). Does anyone know what type of adhesion is used? Is it a water/vacuum-type adhesion process like typical vinyl decals or a glue-type adhesive?

Just slap some plywood on it and call it good.

I doubt the dealership has anything that old. A body shop would be a good idea. Also try a sign shop. Its usually peel and stick type of stuff

Back