• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear XJ box removal

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to run ideas through my head for a while. Will you post links and/or pictures of your knowledge with the removal of the rear lower box section of the XJ body. Hence the lack of knowledge, I don't even know what it's really called. This is the pocket area right behind the rear tire. At the base of the D pillar.

TORX/Dustin...LOL...that's a very educated guess. Thank you for the link. I do know yours are cut from photo's on here. Any issues? Any idea's that you would recommend? Again, thank you.

Pretty quick and simple job. If I had a clean stocker I wouldn't do it (weakens the structure in my opinion), but for a trail rig I think it's a worth while mod for the added clearance. Mine leak, but my whole Jeep leaks so it's not a big deal. If I were to do it again I would either cut out the area and weld in a plate (stronger), or be much more generous on the amount of sealant used.

I welded mine up. Then wirebrushed them and coated all the seams with JB Weld. Worked good, I am adding some plate to the gas line cover, just because it bugs me.. and I am the guy to get some rock up there that will smash them and miraculously spark of my leaf spring and ignite.

I removed mine ages ago. There are several write ups on line about them.
I wouldn't be worried about any lack of structure personally and I wouldn't hesitate to do it to a DD type rig.

Mine don't leak, and they didn't require much sealant. Welding them is possible but a total pain. I ended up pop riveting it and sealing from the inside.

The ONLY issue with these is you really need a good set of mud flaps for street use once you have made this mod!

Michael

I would reccomend not cutting them off completely, but cutting the sides and folding them up and then welding/riveting/screwing them up. I have seen it done many times and have been told that for structutal purposes it is best no to cut them off.

Back