• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock uppers

InlandZJ

NAXJA Forum User
My question is I lifted my jeep a little more and I'm getting the DW pretty bad when hitting a bump at 30m an hr. Every thing from the steering box to the tie rod is all Knew except the upper ca's. The bushing are out towards the center of the jeep and cracked could something like this throw is out into dw? 4wheel parts said to just check the tire psi (I did just that and test drove it and its the same . The the tech said try replaceing the upper arms with knew stock arms. Can anybody think of anything else it could be?

Thanks

My question is I lifted my jeep a little more and I'm getting the DW pretty bad when hitting a bump at 30m an hr. Every thing from the steering box to the tie rod is all Knew except the upper ca's. The bushing are out towards the center of the jeep and cracked could something like this throw is out into dw? 4wheel parts said to just check the tire psi (I did just that and test drove it and its the same . The the tech said try replaceing the upper arms with knew stock arms. Can anybody think of anything else it could be?

Thanks

How much was it lifted before and how much is it lifted now?

I went from 3.5 of lift to about between 4.5 to 5 in lift waiting to see if the springs in the front will settle any.

You went to 5" of lift with stock uppers?

The upper arms are probably contributing to the problem but the real cause is probably the alignment from the lift. There are alot of parts in the front that contribute to the problem. My guess is your caster is off alot.

4wheel parts said I still had some caster to adjust. when I first had the DW I had an aligment shop align it twice and the tech said that there was no more caster to adjust as he turned the bolt it would show the spec to be in the green then as he turned more it would throw it out again. I just picked up some moog bushing for the upper control arms. I hope this takes care of the nasty shakes up front. Every time I need to work on it I need to have AAA come and pick it up. Yesterday it went from my house to two shops then back to my house still with same issue. I had the steering box installed because I cannot work on this in my gated community.

Bhicks, I'm thinking the lift will settle alittle. Springs are not the overated RE springs.

Those damn gated communities. I don't miss that, but the trails across the street were pretty nice. Also walking down to the shopping center was cool.

I don't know if they're the same on the ZJ as the XJ, but I am going to be installing new UCAs soon and you can have the old ones to try if you want.

Good luck.

~Reed

Those damn gated communities. I don't miss that, but the trails across the street were pretty nice. Also walking down to the shopping center was cool.

I don't know if they're the same on the ZJ as the XJ, but I am going to be installing new UCAs soon and you can have the old ones to try if you want.

Good luck.

~Reed

Thanks, Reed but now I'm debateing on just ordering after market upper Ca's and just returning the stock bushings I bought from the auto store.
I delt with boltons with this jeep but, this is getting old.
We'll have to run some BB trails after I fix this problem.

Yea, I think new UCAs is a good idea. Hope it works for you.

Big Bear sounds great before it gets too cold up there. That Cleghorn run last weekend was fun, so hopefully you'll get it fixed and we can go hit that up as well as 2N17X, which is very fun and right by there.

-R

Reed, when the first snow falls in BB its good times wheelin. I have done some about two years now. Just bundle little Levi up and your ready to rock and roll.

Jeeperjohn mentioned my caster on the alignment, so I 'm going to put these bushing in any way in the am. and then have it towed to 4west or 4wheel parts to dial this in. We shall see.

The upper arms are probably contributing to the problem but the real cause is probably the alignment from the lift. There are alot of parts in the front that contribute to the problem. My guess is your caster is off alot.

Jeeperjohn, do you recommend any one shop or person to check my caster?

2n17x sounds fun couldnt make it last weekend reedster. let me know if you guys decide to go. and inlandzj, good luck on the DW. never had that problem when i lifted my jeep.

Well towed it to the shop that was recommended from a 4wheel shop. The tech worked on it and found that my tie rod ends were threaded out and not even left to right tightned everything up and he told me the caster was good and to it for a test run and..... same DW! Needless to say quiting time came around and the shop said they needed more time to diagnose the problem. Monday I'll see what happens.

This thing is such a head ache. I don't think I will lift any thing on my rig anymore

5" of lift on short arms is always going to be a pain to get a good ride and no death wobbles etc. I had the same issue and put in drop brackets, handles and drives like stock and not a hint of death wobble at all. I'm running stock uppers and adjustable RE lowers.

Cheers
Steve

Back