• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding rear wiper motor

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I've seen a few threads on here in the past about rebuilding the rear wiper motor but I can't seem to find them. I opened mine up and I'm unsure where to start.

Anybody have a good tech write-up? ANybody done this?

I know you can re-pack them w/grease but a couple I've done have just spun the main brush driven gear and nothing else.

IIRC somebody once told me that the main problem is an o-ring at the end of the main gear shaft so you gotta pop that sucker out and re-grease in there but it's alot of work. On all the ones I've ever opened up everything else usually spins freely after some coaxing except for that main shaft.

Zoro,

I did get your PM, but I can only read the title.

So, I don't actually know what your question was.

-------------------------------------------------------

It's been many years since I disassembled my motor assembly.

It was a seized output shaft, but I don't remember exastly what I did -- I think it comes down to separating the gear box from the output shaft.

Brute force, and rust penetrant ????

There is a cam/labyrynth kind of gear in there -- take notes or pics.

I've rebuilt a few. taking the wiper mount (ball gear ?) off and removing the main gear is more work than reward. I seem to remember having a lot of trouble getting the main gear back in in the proper oriantation (timing). Behind the large gear there is a set of contacts to park the motor/wiper blade in the proper position. These contacts are likely a ball off rust and easy to damage during disassembly.
The best solution I've found is to loosen the gears and shaft up (wiggle and penetrating oil) then wash it all out with brake cleaner (repeat). Run the motor some on the workbench. It's likely the contacts for the parking position are junk. You can bypass the diode and park the wiper yourself with the switch. The contacts can jam up the main gear some, when they self destruct, a little force will likely free the whole works up. Though the contacts may come out from behind the main gear in chunks.
I've removed everything before and decided it just wasn't worth the effort. Getting it apart and back together without screwing something up is iffy. I used a very small puller to get the wiper ball/gear mount off of the main shaft and super glued it back on, worked fine, but was a hold your breath kind of operation.
The motor itself has a set of brushes, that may be worn to nubs. Pack the whole gear box up with a good grease ( I use synthetic) and oil the main shaft where it exits the housing a couple of times a year to help keep it from rusting up again. My main shaft was so pitted a new O ring was a waste of time.

you can buy wiper motors on ebay for less than $20. $0.02 if that helps.

Back