• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushing suggestions????

Gold Digger

NAXJA Forum User
I'm helping a buddy swap out some bushings on some adj. LCA's on a '97. The only problem is they are seized as hell in the control arms and we dont have a table top vice...

My question is, Do you have any suggestions on how to get them bad boys out? I'm thinking maybe tourch??? :dunno:

I usually use a balljoint press and various size sockets or pieces of pipe to push bushings in\ out. I'm guessing if you don't have access to a vise you won't have these either. Maybe you could go to your local parts store and get some loaner tools.

Good posibility... Maybe a 3ft pipe and a BFH, do you think it could be done with that combo?

Drill them out! Takes all of ten minutes to drill numerous holes in the old bushings until they crumble into tiny pieces and literally fall out. Then take a pneumatic hammer or a BFH and a chisel and drive the sleeves out. I've used this method multiple times with no issues.

Drill them out! Takes all of ten minutes to drill numerous holes in the old bushings until they crumble into tiny pieces and literally fall out. Then take a pneumatic hammer or a BFH and a chisel and drive the sleeves out. I've used this method multiple times with no issues.

Yes, this method usually works. Last time I did some bushings was for a set of upper arms. Started with a vice, then bj press. Then I tried the drill and air chisel. Ended up with the torch and saw, having to cut several releif slots before I could chisel the old sleeve out.

The torch has always worked for me. You will be left with the outer ring, which is what is seized. If you lightly cut the inner ring with a cutting torch with the flame almost parallel to the cut and take care to not put too much heat into the outer ring, then with two cuts it will come out easily.

Awsome, thanks for the advice!. I want to try that drill method. I've never done it that way before.

Back