• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headers

While Banks makes a very high quality header that is engineered to actually make power, I don't feel it qualifies as a good buy because it is so much more than many of the other options. If you have a stroker and need every bit of extra exhaust flow then it might be worth the investment but the APN and other headers that sell for a little over $100 are plenty for a stock engine.

If I could go back and do it again I'd look at the Banks setup. I have a set of Borla ones now that I am less than impressed with the quality of.

I've been real pleased with my Thorley

Thorley_Headers.sized.jpg

Thorley_Headers_Installed.sized.jpg

Its said that the APN header is a Chinese knockoff of a banks. I've got it and it seems fine to me. YMMV.

I dont understand why all the headers only work up the 99 model year. can someone enlighten me?

wow just when out and really looked at the manifold. seems to be a 2 piece due to the pre cat design. I used to assume that the down pipe was the only difference with the 2000/01 model

So is my only option to get a custom exhaust if I wanted to run a high performance header?

Last edited:
Unless a manufacturer claims to have solved the XJ header cracking issue, I would just go to the junkyard, find the one with the smallest crack, weld it up, weld in an expansion joint on one of the tubes leading to the final collector, then toss it on and forget about it.

The nice thing about the ceramic coated Thorley is it dissipates heat really fast. A couple of times working on things like coolant sensors and I've brushed the header after its been running and it's cool to the touch

The nice thing about the ceramic coated Thorley is it dissipates heat really fast. A couple of times working on things like coolant sensors and I've brushed the header after its been running and it's cool to the touch

HDX-634Y
1991-1999, CHEROKEE/GRAND CHEROKEE/WRANGLER TJ & YJ SERIES, 4.0L, 4WD
List Price: $722.65

Ouch! For $722.65, I'll take the occasional delay in work to cool things off, or even a minor burn here and there.

I bought mine from [email protected] for $499 plus approx $30 in shipping. There might be other sources but he does some other exhaust stuff and he has a rep with a few other Jeep clubs (not much presence on NAXJA though).

It should work fine on a 93. I put it on a 99 engine that went into my 91 2 years ago exactly with no sign of any problems at all.

Quick Google search shows Summit with the best price on the Thorley (still $540) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTE-HDX-634Y

It's CARB legal for all the California guys too. Great looking header, but a bit rich for my blood.

EDIT -- guy above with an even better deal.

The BANKS header will the fit the '93 4.0L.
It doesn't come with a down pipe for the XJ.
Installed a BANKS header on my '98 in '04 and then it only cost $350.

Charles

I dont understand why all the headers only work up the 99 model year. can someone enlighten me?

wow just when out and really looked at the manifold. seems to be a 2 piece due to the pre cat design. I used to assume that the down pipe was the only difference with the 2000/01 model

So is my only option to get a custom exhaust if I wanted to run a high performance header?

So, any headers for my 2000 out there?

Ok did a little searching and there seems that only Banks Power and Doug Thorley makes a header for my pre cat model...... are the aftermarket headers for my model 2 piece like stock?

Last edited:
Back