• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? Running bead locks on a daily driver??

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search only found one post that wasn't much help. What are the problems with running beadlocks on a daily driver?, besides the police. Are they hard to balance? It states 28lbs max air presure, that a little low for the road? How dangerous are they for daily use, and freeway driving. Thanks for the info.

i run allied 32 bolt steel beadlocks

havent had a single issue with them

police dont care

they balance like any other wheel

28 psi is plenty for most any large tire on a lightweight xj ( i have run more)

clocked about 30k street miles on mine including a 10k mile trip across the country in the summer (lotsa heat)

Do you mount them yourself, then bring in for balancing?

Im considering getting a set of 37" military takeoff tires and double bead locks from Trail Worthy Fab. But I DD my rig, cant always be changing out tires.

As far as police, check your local laws.
I think they are illegal because of the possibility of the bolts coming loose at speed. Most locks are not DOT approved and advised for offroad use only. So you can't sue if there is a failure.
But like wheel spacers, you can do it anyway. And if you are careful and do everything right, you are no more likely to have a problem than anyone else.

Do you mount them yourself, then bring in for balancing?

Im considering getting a set of 37" military takeoff tires and double bead locks from Trail Worthy Fab. But I DD my rig, cant always be changing out tires.
You'll never get those radials and H1s to balance correct. That would be a waste of time, money and effort. The wheel alone weights ~50lbs before you start adding rock rings, the insert and tire.

You best bet would be to try BBs, but I'd be hesitant to see real results from those with that combo.
As far as police, check your local laws.
I think they are illegal ...
:rolleyes: Not this again...

It can and has been done. Ballancing is going to be a problem with them depending on wheel design.

Legally if they are not DOT approved they are not approved for on highway use. Thats federal law. However most cops do not look for it or enforce it. Some of the more strick state inspection shops will also fail vehicles for non-DOT approved items.

If you were involved in an accident due to those parts that the police investigate expect to be sued/hassled accordingly.

It can and has been done. Ballancing is going to be a problem with them depending on wheel design.

Legally if they are not DOT approved they are not approved for on highway use. Thats federal law. However most cops do not look for it or enforce it. Some of the more strick state inspection shops will also fail vehicles for non-DOT approved items.

If you were involved in an accident due to those parts that the police investigate expect to be sued/hassled accordingly.

find me the law.

so i can post it on pirate and win $50

ya, no such thing. it boils down to being charged for driving an unsafe vehicle if they fail and you cause a wreck...

i ran the 32bolt allieds as well and had no problems, for long trips i aired up to over 30psi and have never had a problem. i used copper airsoft BB's to balance them out. the H1 wheels and tires a different world tho and i would reconsider an alternative if you could.

It's already been posted over there, still doesn't make beadlocks illegal. FMVSS just says that all road going wheels must have a DOT stamp.

my beadlocks have a dot stamp. they are essentially soft 8's modified by allied wheel

my beadlocks have a dot stamp. they are essentially soft 8's modified by allied wheel

Exactly, most beadlock wheels start from a DOT stamped wheel shell, there is also nothing in the DOT standards that prevents stamping a beadlocked wheel.

Something should be added to the FAQ's about beadlocks being legal, so every time someone brings this up they can just be pointed in that direction.

find me the law.

so i can post it on pirate and win $50
everytime i see someone asking to post a law stating that beadlocks are illegal someone comes up with some document that says something along the lines of:
"will fail inspection:
- yada
- yada yada
- beadlock rims
- yada yada yada"

this implies that a bead lock rim will fail a vehicle in states that give anual inspections. this does NOT imply that they are illegal and you can/will be sited for them. id like to see something that says exactly that.

bead lock rims are not DOT approved and that is the sole reason they fail a vehicle at inspection. when properly set up, they are no more dangerous than a soft 8.

Generally speaking, anything without a DOT stamp would be illegal for use on public roads. No, it's not illegal for a beadlock to have the DOT stamp, but most likely, the manufacturers just don't feel like paying for the testing to get the stamp when they figure most beadlocks will be on trail rigs. There's nothing inherently unsafe about a beadlock, unless you don't follow the specified maintenance schedule, much like anything else to do with a vehicle.

so say i take my soft 8s, buy a set of weld on bead locks from a company and turn my outter bead into a locking bead, the inside of my rim will still have a dot stamp on it so it would be easy to argue really

Lets see, if beadlocks will hold up to 160 miles of high speed desert and hardcore rock racing without the bolts just randomly coming loose, I think they can handle some street driving and potholes.

Lets see, if beadlocks will hold up to 160 miles of high speed desert and hardcore rock racing without the bolts just randomly coming loose, I think they can handle some street driving and potholes.

maybe in maryland...

you guys dont get the snow that destroys your roads and turns them into an offroad course! :laugh3:

crazzier things have happened. but i agree with you completely.

Back