• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline angles

jstaples

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1996 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 8.25 Chrysler. I'm considering my options for future modificaitons, including a possoble lift.

According to the service manual:
"Ideally the driveline system should have:
*Angles that are in equal or opposite within 1 degree of each other
*Have a 3 degree maximum operating angle
*Have at least a 1/2 degree continuous operating (propeller shaft) angle."

My understanding is that the first statement (despite poor wording) says the overall angle of TC output spline and diff pinion spline must be less that 1 degree and the second statement says that the angle at each universal joint has to be less than 3 degrees.

I have no idea what the third statement means. Can anyone explain it in easy to understand terms?

First for lifts ignore the service manual and listen to the guys around here, they'll be alot more helpful and can explain things better.

When dealing with lifts the front driveshaft is a double cardan style which means it has a double U-joint with centering ball at the end of the transfer case which is a fixed yoke. That style shaft you want the pinion of the driveshaft to be pointed directly towards the transfer case as close as possible. For the rear driveshaft it has a slip yoke on the driveshaft which slides in and out of the rear output of the transfer case. When dealing with the stock driveshaft you want the transfer case output and the pinion of the rear axle to be parallel to each other. When you get over ~3" of lift the stock driveline in the rear has been known to start causing vibes and noise as it doesn't like the steeper angles. That's when most of us on here start looking into an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) which takes the rear output of the transfer case and makes it a fixed yoke like the front. Then you can get a driveshaft like the front has and put it in the rear, then do just the same as the front and have the pinion pointed straight at the transfer case output.

Until you max out the length of the DC-driveshaft when fully extended. But in theory yes, if you get a longer rear shaft.

With an SYE and double cardan rear shaft the limit would be a lift of probably about 10' (and yes that's ft). Really though you don't want to go high even if you only drive it on the road. They're already crappy at cornering and the higher it goes the more prone to body roll and tipping over they are. Most on here try to stay as low as they can and wide for more stability offroad. What you need to figure out first is what size tires will be the biggest you have on it, then figure out the minimum amount of lift and trimming necessary to fit them under the xj. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here as everyone even the hard core competitor's on here had to start somewhere knowing nothing, just do yourself a favor and use the search button some before asking a question.

Back