• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starts/ Idles fine wont accelerate

binder_ss

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed my crank position senson and now, my jeep starts and idles fine HOWEVER...

Once the RPM's reach 1500 it starts to pop and generally run ruff, infact it wont even rev past the 1500 rpm mark most of the time if Im lucky it will hit 2000.

Any ideas on how to correct this?
Engine = I6 4.0
Tranny = AW4

And what were the symptoms BEFORE you changed the crank sensor?

The year is 97
Fuel Pressure is good.
Before I left it (for a year) it ran fine, when I got back it wouldnt start so I started poking around and the CPS wires just sort of fell off....

Ok, did you fully charge the battery and have it load tested?

Have you messed with the distributor or wires?
Have you messed with the TPS or power washed the engine compartment?
Is your air filter clean?

I havent load tested it, but it has the power to start the engine and hasent needed a jump at all.

Ok, put a voltmeter between the battery terminals to see how much static voltage you have.

[SIZE=+1]Voltage[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]State of Charge[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]12.6+[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]100%;[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]12.5 [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]90%[/SIZE]; [SIZE=+1]12.42[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]80%[/SIZE]; [SIZE=+1]12.32[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]70%;[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]12.20[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]60%;[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]12.06[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]50%;[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]11.9 [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]40%[/SIZE]; [SIZE=+1]11.75[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]30%[/SIZE]; [SIZE=+1]11.58[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]20%[/SIZE]; [SIZE=+1]11.31[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]10%;[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]10.5 [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]0%.

[/SIZE]
Next, start the engine and see how much voltage you have.

Post up the results.

Note: starters are as dumb as a box of rocks--give them enough AMPS and they will do their job. Engine management, however, is a bit more sophisticated and when available voltage gets low weird things start to happen. This happens because reference voltages will drop below parameters built into the PCM, so none of the sensor data will make any sense to the PCM.

Back