• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poison Spyder Bumper on an XJ?

It'll probably look great if you weld it up to the frame good and tight, then add sides to it to protect the entire front end. It seems like a good base to start a bumper build off of, not a bad price either.

It'll probably look great if you weld it up to the frame good and tight, then add sides to it to protect the entire front end. It seems like a good base to start a bumper build off of, not a bad price either.
Mmmmmm, welding a 1/4'' winch plate to the factory sheet metal frame rails........:puke:

Sell that over priced TJ bumper and build yourself one that will actually fit for about $100.

That bumper looks like it will basically be just a new crossmember if you try to make it work on an XJ.

Mmmmmm, welding a 1/4'' winch plate to the factory sheet metal frame rails........:puke:

Sell that over priced TJ bumper and build yourself one that will actually fit for about $100.

^This

I made a new front crossmember for my MJ. 10ga stiffeners on the outside (with 5/16" mounts welded to that), and 1/8" plate on the inside rails.

I hadn't ever fabbed anything before attempting this. Wasn't too difficult, just took a lot of time. If you can weld you should be fine attempting this.

102_0757.jpg

9f835f1c.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Over priced at retail. I paid $200 for it new. And $20 for the winch fair-lead mount (that retails for $40). And I paid $50 to ship it. $270 total.

After laying under the front end and seeing how little to work off of there really is... Made me want to slit my wrists. Talk about a tin can.

Here are some cell phone pics.

I made my own frame to slide on the end of the uni-body. If you guys know what I'm talking about... The tabs on the factory frame that stick out 1 1/2 inch... I cut those off and welded the cracks. Then This will fit flat on the front end.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
ON

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NOTE: I'm not finished with this.
I still need to strengthen some places.
-I plan on welding my mount to the side and front of the uni-body. And then add angle iron to the bottom portion of the mount raping around the bottom.

-The square tubing fits flat against the front of the uni-body. (that's where I plan on welding).

I'm going to keep the bolts in on the side even after the weld.

Ultimately I need to take my front clip off and weld the inside of my uni-body up.

*This is the first time I wire welded since 2002. And this was a brand new welder. I decided it would be best to just tear into the project with out any practice welds. And they turned out great. I recommend Miller.

Last edited:
Any plans to protect the sides?

Yeah...
-I'm thinking some more 2x4 rectangular tubing on end longways. Tapered (angled) up on the ends stretching to each corner, if you can picture that.

-Then from the lower portion of the now new bumper mount
(where the bumper bolts on) a bent piece of round tubing twisted up to tie it all together. So it will be like a giant toe hook on each side. I do not have a bender for the round tubing. So that's a set back.

One major problem with that Idea is that the corners will be solid and not removable once I weld in the new cross-member. Unless of-course I make each side bolt on. Which is an option.

Like I said, it'll look great if you just add some protection under the rest of the grille. Great job.

Thanks! I don't have much fabrication experience. But I'm not scared to try and I have some nice tools (which is a big help). I'll post pic's of my rear shock mount that I am welding into that factory abortion of a bar-pin set-up for my new fox shocks.

I do need to purchase some 1/8th" angle iron to rap around the lower portion of the uni-body under the JCR offroad mounts. I will not be happy until this is done. I was surprisingly impressed with the strength that I got so far. Where the bolts attach on the inside of the uni-body I put large 3" washers on to help spread out the "tension". It will not be perfect until I do like the guy above and replace everything.

The JCR mounts are 1/4" and the square tubing I used is 1/8th". I was worried about the penetration I could get with the two different sizes and I was pleasantly surprised. I turned up the heat and welded around a half inch at a time and then would pause to let the beads cool. I went with 1/8" because the whole jeep is a tin can... I just didn't see the need to go larger. If I gusset it properly it will add a lot of support.

Back