• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalls when driving...now nothing

xjRyan96

NAXJA Forum User
Names ryan, I have a 1996 cherokee sport,aw4, I6. I was driving back from camping and truck sputtered almost like a backfire, drove for one more mile then truck just dies.....guages fluttered then nothing. Then i get towed. I changed my cps, cleaned my nss a year ago, new fuel pump and filter. Truck starts then i drive it for about 10mins and stalls on me again. I get home and i notice the fuel pump wont prime anymore... i get crank but no start. Be fore this all begin my radio decides to stop working for me then started to work right before camp. I am lost for words. What could fix my problem...or what could cut off the fuelpump from working?

Check relays and fuses. Check connections in steering column - almost seems like an ignition problem. You could have gotten one of those quitter pumps from the parts house - find that receipt. This may drive you batty, but just suck it up and start checking every wire under the dash - that's right, you've stepped into the realm of contortionism.

:) :)

I know its like i've been working on the jeep more then driving the thing. I swapped my relays around a bit...never looked at fuses. Im assuming its something controlling the fuel pump though, just because it doesnt prime. I will check fuses later today.thanks

Are your gauges still messed up?

They were fluttering when truck stalled. Now when i turn the ignition on before crank... no lights at all come on. I know the check engine light is suppose to show up for a few seconds then cut out but now nothing. Truck started last night while messing around with the shifter in neutral but stalled soon after.

Check your ground and power wires for your battery and make sure you don't have any exposed wire. If you do, either clean em and wrap them in electrical tape, go to a junk yard and pull those wires out of another XJ, or spend the 150 bucks and get a whole new wire harness for the battery assembly (a lot more than 2 wires) from jeep themselves

Ok. So you turn the key ON and there are NO GAUGES? Correct?

If so, unplug the crank sensor, then turn the key to ON and see if the gauges magically work.

If they do, replace the crank sensor, it is shorted to ground.

Check your electrical stuff... this is where poking things and kicking/punching the vehicle in frustration can actually help.

Yesterday morning on my way to work my XJ died on me, it'd been heaving and choking and acting up for a few miles and I was just hoping to limp it to the autozone a half mile from my office. Ended up dying a quarter mile away and had to get it towed the rest of the way (yay AAA!) When I investigated, it turned out that the wiring harness for my downstream O2 sensor was hanging on the driveshaft and it wore all the insulation off and twisted the wires together, shorting out the 12 volt heater power, which on 96s is fed directly by the ASD relay... so when the fuse blew it took out the injectors, alt field coil, ECU, O2 sensors, and a few other things I forget, which kept the engine from running. A new fuse and a bunch of electrical tape fixed it up enough to limp it home and fix properly.

Not saying you have the same problem, but inspect your wiring harness carefully, if you can get it to fail faster by messing with a certain section of the harness, you are getting close to a diagnosis.

I unplugged the crank postion sensor and nothing. But truck primed and started then stalled 10mins later. I know it has to be something that controls the feul pump, but what? Or a ground for fuel pump. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that could help me track down what controls the fuel pump, also how does the fuel pump ground? Does the tank ground it?

Ok, I'll ask again:

When you turn the key to ON do your gauges work? Yes or No?

If NO, then when you unplug the crank sensor do the gauges then work when you turn the key to ON?

oops sorry. no guages do not work with ignition on, when i unplugged the crank sensor it still didnt turn on. But today they did turn on and i heard the pump prime and it did fire but cut out later. Do you think it could be the main ground, the one on the back of the block.

Ok, I don't think the crank sensor is the root of your issue.

Normally, with the 96+ when the gauges don't work but will come on with the crank sensor unplugged it means the crank sensor has shorted internally to ground--and its time to replace the crank sensor.

However, that doesn't seem to be what is going on with yours.

Ok, when you turn the key to ON, 12 volts from the ignition switch go to the fuel pump relay and ASD relay in the PDC under the hood. IF the PCM is doing its job it will provide a ground to the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay, I believe that comes from pin 51 on the PCM's 60 pin connector. After a little time if the PCM does not sense a signal generated by the crank sensor it will cut the grounds to the relays.

So, you need to determine if the ignition switch is powering the fuel and ASD relays, and if the PCM is providing a ground for them.

well heres an issue my brother had a similar issue with his jeep. come to find out that his fuel pump was actually grounding out in the tank. kind of scary when you think about it sparking in the tank and all

Hey thanks joe_peters thats good info....im going to search for power at those points. If power at relays and no power at pump, it would be safe to say it's my computer huh? How much do computers go for....$200 or so?

Thought all was good. drove good for the past couple of day, put 160 or so miles on it then out of nowhere it stalls again. Can anyong give me more suggestions?!

Ok, back to basics.

When it stalls (dies) you need to determine the missing element--fuel or spark. Once you can do that there are only a limited number of issues in each circuit.

cutting off fuel. it just completely cuts off my fuel pump...and it is new. Im going to test my fuel pump relay even though i switched it with my asd.

Back