• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another cooling issue. Tell me what you think please

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
All summer long it's been driving me nuts!!!!!!!! ALL new cooling system. New rad, hd fan clutch, 4 thermostats, temp sensor, 2 rad caps, new tranny fluid. Right now i'm running a 180 thermostat. In the mornings I can drive 50 miles and the temp runs 190-200. In the afternoon its running 220-230. By the way I live in Phoenix its about 80 in the morning and 105-110 in the afternoon. Its seems to me that the 2 row I have just cant handle the heat? I've tried a 30/70 coolant mix also. Do most XJ's stay at a somewhat constant temp. Electric cooling fan works fine. mechanic says head gasket is good. Gets hot while in traffic AND on the freeway. I've seen a lot of posts for a CFS 3 row, dumb question but what does CFS mean? A couple weekends ago it got hot enough to blow some coolant out which seems to be about 225 and it was only 95 out. never let it get hotter then that.

I think its the rad but the shop I bought it from is giving me a hard time. At this point I think Ill use it for target practice, that would improve air flow at least

98, 4.0, automatic, a/c, 31" tires

Is the fan clutch good?

A good source for the CSF brand radiator is www.radiatorbarn.com. People recommend the CSF brand because its all metal. It doesn't have the crappy, failure prone plastic tanks like the oem radiators.

Also being an automatic, are you sure the torque converter is locking? If its not locking up that would generate some additional heat in the radiator. Along those lines, adding a separate tranny cooler (if you don't already have one) might help.

yup stop and go and on the freeway. not sure what brand, its alum and plastic. I installed it about 4 months ago when my original one crack a side tank

Do you still have the spring in the lower radiator hose? If not it might be collapsing and you'd have little to no coolant flow

Back