• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Wagoneer Axles

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
I have front and rear axles out of a 89 Grand Wagoneer. This is my first Cherokee axle swap and am wondering if you guys have run into any problems with it or if their is anything I should be looking out for.

IIRC that would be a passenger side drop(the front axle).

An 89 is a driver side drop.
I have a set installed in my XJ and had them in my YJ.
The only issue was me being stupid and breaking them.
The front will need a lot of modification since it is going from leaf spring to coils.
The rear most likely will need the spring perches moved.
I don't know for sure since I run a 4 link rear.
Depending on your tire size you will want to regear and
maybe get alloys.
I run 36s and have alloys up front but not the rear.
I haven't had many issues that way. I also run 4.88s but
i'm not street legal just a trailer queen.
I would also recommend lock out hubs up front unless you won't be on the street much.
It just helps with the driveability especially if your locked.
Good luck and let's see pics of the build.
Stukboy

they are the easiest dana44 axle swap (aside from a rubi, but those dont count)

if you want the front to be any stronger/more beneficial than your dana30 I would upgrade to alloy shafts with good u joints (at least spicers) and some locking hubs.

aside from that all you really need is brackets and some new brake hoses for the half ton chevy calipers. i use late 70's dodge van brake hoses. about 26" long and bolt right in.

some people like to cut the knuckles off and clock them for a decent caster and pinion angle. but this isnt exactly a necessity. but the taller the suspension on your jeep, the more you should look into this.

Thanks for all the tips. Any bad points to leaving it 6 lug? Everyone keeps telling me I need to convert to 5 but I have several pairs of six lug wheels that will do fine. Also on the lock out hubs...it currently doesn't have them but do you reccomend converting?

i see no need to have to run lockouts, i ran a locker in my 30 without lockouts with no issues, and your fine with 6 lug if you got wheels, gm toyota and waggy 6 lug wheels are mostly the same

i see no need to have to run lockouts, i ran a locker in my 30 without lockouts with no issues, and your fine with 6 lug if you got wheels, gm toyota and waggy 6 lug wheels are mostly the same

I have run with and without locking hubs. You are correct some feel no need for them.
I like them. Less clunking and banging when it unloads. Unless it's an air locker.
It also helps if you break a shaft and have to drive home. Just unlock it.
Or carry spare shafts.
Stukboy

its nice to be able to know i can explode the inside of my front axle and simply unlock the hubs and drive home.

also allows me to do 2 low if needed and it allows me to use wobbly front driveshafts without vibrations lol.

its like $100 for em' with plenty of benefits, just do it

I'm running a an 86 Grand Waggy front axle, with drive flanges and a detroit locker. I do not have any clicking or poping while in 2wd on paved streets, and a can rebuild one on the trail in a few minutes.

-The TNT/Treks axle truss made it a breeze to install.
-You may have to shorten your drive shafts.

I'm running a an 86 Grand Waggy front axle, with drive flanges and a detroit locker. I do not have any clicking or poping while in 2wd on paved streets, and a can rebuild one on the trail in a few minutes.

-The TNT/Treks axle truss made it a breeze to install.
-You may have to shorten your drive shafts.

I'm thinking about the swap as well.

When you installed the TNT truss, what did you have to do regarding the cast spring pad on the drivers side? Does the TNT truss/coil bucket/lower control arm mount fit around the cast differential section or do you have to modify anything?

The TNT truss fits on the housing without modification, you may need to grind away the leaf spring perch to fit the LCA mounts but the truss itself fits perfectly

I also used the tnt truss on a waggy axle I swapped into the front of a zj i had. worked great. kinda pricey once you add up all the options but a very nice piece.

For those who used the Waggy LP axle, did you perform a cut-and-turn?

Back