• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoking and fouled plugs..

High2by

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Sorry for the bad pics but maybe you can see...

102_1776.jpg

Feathering the throttle.
102_1775.jpg

Plugs are in this order from top to bottom. Cylinder #6,5,4,3,2,1

102_1786.jpg

These plugs are new also.

A little background. Comanche is an '89. Engine was swapped from an '89 XJ. Engine ran with no smoke or problems in the XJ then sat for about 6-8 months in the XJ before going in the MJ. From time the engine came out of the XJ to it going into the MJ was about 4-5 days. It's a 4.0 Renix. It will idle but it runs extremely rough. It smooths out at RPM's but smokes like a freight train.

Thoughts as to the problem???

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, you're right, your pics suck. But your smoke looks blue-ish (especially 2nd pic) which indicates you're burning oil. Did you at any time squirt some oil into the cyls? I'd let it run for a while since it's been dormant for so long and see if it clears up.

I didn't put any oil in the cylinders before the initial starting of it and it's been started several times throughout the day and let run for 5 minutes or so each time. (I'm in a subdivision and it looks like the house is on fire when it runs :D) These pics were taken the last time it ran.

Your problem is most likely shot or stuck rings. Like the man said, squirt a little oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a day or so, then start it up and drive it on the highway for 20-30 miles. Hopefully the ring is just stuck and will work its way loose, otherwise you are a candidate for an overhaul or at the least a ring job.

Just use straight motor oil?

That or better yet, spray penetrating oil in the cylinders, (not WD40).

I have some PB Blaster. I should spray into all cylinders right, not just 3 and 4?

Just the bad holes.

Thanks guys!!!!!

I'll spray 'em down and plug 'em back up and let it sit. I'll report back tomorrow afternoon on how it goes.

Good luck.

Some guys swear by SeaFoam as well.

Update. I went to grandma's house today...no really, I did, but anyway, I just got home and after letting the PB sit all night and day, I went to crank it. Well, it wouldn't start. I had to swap out batteries, I keep one on a trickle charger for just such occasions, because the one in it gave it up. Got it started with a little pump of the gas peddle. It wouldn't start without it?? Still idles extremely rough and still blows smoke. Since it's dark I couldn't tell if it was as bad as yesterday though.

I unplugged each injector, one at a time to see if I could locate the missing cylinder. #1 and #2 I couldn't tell much difference in the runing of it, when I unplugged #3 it died. Same for #4, it died. Unplugged #5 then #6 and couldn't tell much difference in running. I even swapped #1 and #2 wires in the chance that I had them plugged wrong, I had to swap them back because it wanted to die.

I looked underneath and what did I see, a puddle of oil!!!! I looked for the source and it looks like it is dripping off the bottom of the exhuast manifold!! It looks like around #4 or #5 cylinder. From there it runs down the down tube then off onto the floor. I checked the valve cover gasket and there are no visible leaks there. The engine ran for a total of no more than 7 minutes. There is quite a bit of oil for no longer than it ran.

Any ideas????

did it ever over heat? sounds like its time for a compression test. you may have a cracked or warped head...or maybe it got a little loose some how.

The engine came out of my, previous, trail rig. I can't say for the PO but when I had it, it never got hot and it ran like a champ in it. I never had any issues with anything untill I swapped it.

It sat for 6-8 months without running before the swap. Could that have something to do with it?

I don't have a compression gauge but I think I'll stop at AZ and "rent" one, maybe buy one if they aren't too many $$$

Last edited:
I would definately check the head gasket. it seems like it is missing in those cylinders due to lack of compression. If you can do a compression test, do it. This will tell you if the head gasket is bad and if so, that could easily be your oil leak

Do the compression test. Let us know what it is on each cylinder. I'd bet 2 and 3 are low and you have a stuck ring like mentioned. Marvelous Mystery Oil or ATF fluid will help that situation. When I pulled my current Jeep out of a field it sat for 2 years. I let MMO sit in each cylinder for a week.

I got a compression gauge from AZ but it was broke so looks like another trip to them to see if I can get one that works.

I got a compression gauge from AZ but it was broke so looks like another trip to them to see if I can get one that works.

Damn son that sounds like my luck!

Back