• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 question

catchmytalon

NAXJA Forum User
so i just bought a dana 44 with 4.27 gears its 58 inches wms to wms it is a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern it was origionally spring under and im just curious what it came out of

so i just bought a dana 44 with 4.27 gears its 58 inches wms to wms it is a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern it was origionally spring under and im just curious what it came out of

If 4.27 (that's a weird number) gears, spring under, and the 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern are correct, I'm going with Dodge Dakota. Something tells me I may not be quite right on this, though.

44 rear low pinion. Looked to be stock spring under. The guy thought it was possibly out of a scout.

44 rear low pinion. Looked to be stock spring under. The guy thought it was possibly out of a scout.

Low Pinion. OK, I'm out of this game - never dealt with one that wasn't HP, and missed the 58" wall-to-wall measurement. Sorry, but someone else will have to field this one.

All Scouts I have even seen and owned had the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Dakotas would have the right pattern but they used a 7.25 or 8.25 rear axles during those years.

Maybe shafts out of a cherokee in a scout housing?

They wouldnt quite be the right lengths. Maybe you could measure the shaft lengths for us? Drive side should be 29 1/4 inches and the passenger side should be 29 1/2 inches, assuming they are out of a Jeep, MJ/XJ/TJ. Sprung under could have been an MJ(comanche) and the 4.27 gears could have been a special order package or the work of a previous owner somewhere along the lines. The fact its spring under and 5 on 4.5 screams comanche to me.

mj's are narrower in the spring perches, the axle itself is exactly the same as an xj d44, only differance is factory mounted suspension mounts.

does it have shock mounts? MJ's have the shock mounts on the spring plates.

My brother said no shock mounts welded on the axle. And it looks like the perches closer together. BUT there is also a stock tag on the dif saying 4.27s

What kind of spline count on the axle shafts? Early Scouts had the 10 spline coarse. They also had the 4.27 gear factory is some applications. Bolt pattern still doesn't make sence though.

If 4.27 (that's a weird number) gears, spring under, and the 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern are correct, I'm going with Dodge Dakota. Something tells me I may not be quite right on this, though.

4.27 was a popular number in the 70s. My CJ had them from the factory. Narrow spring pads on it?

I betcha that 4.27s isnt the right ratio. Pop the cover and check the gears for the tooth count stamped into them. Then report back.

Plus as said earlier it says it right on the stock id tag on the cover.

4.27 is to a common ration for XJ, which is what we are used to here because you cannot match it to the D30 front. But in years past when it was matched with a D27, it was a common ratio. Check the spline count, I bet it is 19

Back