• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in-dash clock

I added a factory clock to my '93 using go-jeep's article as guidance. I assume the plug would be in the cavity behind the clock but mine didn't have a plug or at least I didn't find one.

I drilled a hole into the adjacent radio compartment and hard wired the clock by tapping into the radio wiring. All of this will take only a few minutes with a modicum of wiring experience. The clock draws virtually no current so there is no danger of overloading the existing wiring.

I added a factory clock to my '93 using go-jeep's article as guidance. I assume the plug would be in the cavity behind the clock but mine didn't have a plug or at least I didn't find one.

I drilled a hole into the adjacent radio compartment and hard wired the clock by tapping into the radio wiring. All of this will take only a few minutes with a modicum of wiring experience. The clock draws virtually no current so there is no danger of overloading the existing wiring.

A**uming you tapped into the memory preset power feed so the clock remains powered with the ignition switch off?

Just me being Captain Obvious. ;)

The factory did away with the in-dash clock after 1991. After that, the clock was in the radio. So there shouldn't be a plug in a 93.

I wired up a 91 dash clock into my 96 XJ by using GoJeep's link as a wiring guide. I just hardwired the constant power to the fuse box, the switched power to the cigarette lighter, and the ground to the dash. I didn't bother with the other wires, like the dimmer and illumination wires.

Dang, Joe!! You're saying I could do that and not have to reset the time every time I go somewhere? I wear out a couple toothpicks a week punching those little buttons on the clock. lol

Actually, I assumed xj_chef would figure that out having read go-jeep's writeup along with having three or four power leads to account for. Of course there are other wiring options if he doesn't want to slide his head unit out. (As mentioned by johnnyc while I was composing.)

Last edited:
i got it sorry for the ^ post.
when i hooked all the wires up, the clock wouldn't work without the lights on. then if you dimmed the lights clock face would go out. ( clock was from a '91)
i just hooked up ignition, memory, ground.
works great.

Back