• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head swap question

92jeepxjOR

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj 4.0 with some head issues. Its got bad valve stem seals and it hasn't had a head gasket done in a while so I bought a head from the junk yard that was just rebuilt but its off of a 96. So my question is would there be any problems swapping the 96 head on the 92 block, are there and advantages/disadvantages to this swap?

Should not be a problem. If your only issue is valve stem seals, why not just replace them? I think they run less than $15 for a set.

As far as I know its never had a head gasket done so I wanted to do that and last time I had the intake off it was really gummed up in there and I wanted to clean everything up. Also I have to replace the cracked header and I figured its a good time to freshen up the top end

Mopar Performance valve seals for about $15 a set. Install them without removing the head. $8 for a valve cover gasket. Can of BG44K in the fuel to clean the injectors and intake and you're done.

44K is recommended by many manufacturers specifically for reducing carbon buildup on the back of valves and in the intake manifold. Cleaning the injectors happens to be a bonus.

I am looking for a source for the BG 44K. I have read lots of good things about it and want to give it a try. BG's website only talks about a "service" and you can search for shops that perform the service, but no reference to dealers or distributors for their product. I want to perform the "service" myself.

Many dealership parts departments carry it, usually in a two pack.

Toyota dealers seem to have it the most.

Locator: http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

Search on my zip and I get 7 shops, two are dealerships.

Last edited:
The BG 44K does have a good reputation, as the others have said. I have always been under the impression that the #7120 casting, from the 91-95 model years, was the better flowing head to swap to. I suppose you can find plenty of opinions on that though.

Back