• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console switch.

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '93 XJ. I have a '96 XJ overhead console and the temp gauge (the one that mounts under the radiator).
I have all the wiring and plugs from the console.
will this console work in my '93?
the real ? is does my '93 have all the correct wiring to plug&play?

Hey, it's only been three hours since you asked, and operators are not on standby to take your (or anyone else's) call. Allow me to suggest using the search while you're waiting as it may yield the answer you're looking for.

Last edited:
nope nobody knows the answer to this :rolleyes:

depending on what you mean by plugs and wiring, and depending on whether you have power accessories, the answer is yes or no.

Does the 96 console have a MPG readout? That would require data from the computer (and bus) which wouldn't be available on the 93 so that part of it wouldn't work and the other parts may or may not I don't know. If the console only has compass and temperature, and if you have the wiring harness for it, then there's no reason you can't wire it up. It may not be the same plugs as the 93, but you can figure something out. I have a bastardized overhead console in my 91 that is made of parts from a late-model XJ, a ZJ, and some kind of Dodge minivan, but I already had the overhead wiring installed so I only had to splice pigtails.

Wiring goes from ceiling to passenger kick panel. There's a plug in there somewhere. I don't know what to tell you about the temp sensor under the bumper, you'll probably need to run that too

Nope, 96 console doesn't have MPG (at least mine doesn't.) 97 was the first year for that.

I believe it's a Dodge Caravan. The mounting bracket(s) (not sure about the front one) are the same in the Caravan and the XJ, you just mount the Caravan one backwards or something. It makes more sense when you're looking at the parts.

The temp gauge wiring plugs into the harness under the PDC, there is a 2 pin connector under there, I think the wire colors are light blue / black and purple / light green but don't quote me on it, it's been a while since I used that info. If you don't have the right plug no worries, just chop and splice, it's only a thermistor.

You have a good memory, Mr. Stein. I'm looking at an extra temp sensor that I have and you are spot on the colors. You helped me a while back when I was just thinking about adding an overhead console, so thanks again.

I just installed an overhead console in my 96 a few weeks ago. It was from a 96-down XJ, but not necessarily a 96, I don't know. I had the wiring harness from the console to the pass kick panel, and it was pretty plug and play from there. The plug for the temp sensor was dangling under the PDC, but it didn't match the sensor I had, so that was my only splice. Oh, and my 96 has power windows, locks, and mirrors, so I think that is why it was pre-wired for the console to the kick panel. I remember seeing that a couple of places when I researched.

I sometimes remember stuff... and sometimes I don't, made a pretty bad mistake earlier today on a cruise control part number question :dunce:

Sometime in the mid-early 90s (my bet is 94 to 95 but I am not sure) the connector at the PDC for the temp sensor changed. As noted though it's the same wires, you can even swap em and it won't really matter. You can also use the sensor off the grille support of any ZJ if you can't find one in an XJ, the resistance/temp gradient is the same iirc.

Like you said, if you don't have power accessories (I am not certain which ones are required, but mine has power windows and locks, no power mirrors, and had the right connectors for the OHC harness) you may be SOL. If you are really dedicated you can pull up the carpet in the donor, along with the center console, and get the cross body wiring harness to swap into your XJ as well, which will give you all the connectors needed for a plug and play install. I've done custom installs of OHCs in 96-down XJs with absolutely no power accessories at all by hand wiring everything, it wasn't too bad (speaking as an electrical engineer, here...) but if you aren't comfortable with auto electronics you probably don't want to attempt it, just get the cross body wiring harness and plug it in.

I know a lot of people don't like power accessories, but I find a right-hand power mirror and power window fairly useful when driving alone.

Actually I did not wire up the replacement overhead console temp and compass but instead routed the wiring to a Gentex mirror that I pulled from a Tahoe

All of this stuff uses the same temperature sensor. I'm using one from a ZJ right now because it has a better mounting setup than the one in the XJ and I could get it a little lower under the bumper for better reading

sorry about the "NOBODY". was responding with my cell.
my '93 has no power accessories. the temperature sensor i took had different hook ups, but i can cut and spice into the existing wires.
what is PDC?
when i took the console and temp sensor i grabbed all the wiring and cut the wires past the connectors so i could splice into existing wiring and still be able to unplug it.
thanks

I found the temperature plug under the fuse box/overflow tank. So that part is plug and play. I pulled the pass side kick panel, found one of the three plugs that the console has.
the console has a red connector (5 wire) for overhead lights, which i plugged in and all 4 of the dome lights work.
It has two other plugs which my '93 doesn't contain: green flat plug 4 wire to a 2 wire side.
It has a black 5 wire plug.

Now I know all the plugs will be different excluding the lights, so any info on where to splice would be appreciated.
thanks

Oh, and my 96 has power windows, locks, and mirrors, so I think that is why it was pre-wired for the console to the kick panel. I remember seeing that a couple of places when I researched.

My '92 had no electric niceties, and it had the kickpanel plug and the plug up-front for the outside temp sensor. In fact, three of our four didn't come with OHC, yet all had the necessary harness. I've used the front sensors from MOPAR minivans, as they also have the correct plug. The only thing that I don't understand about the whole OHC deal is in my son's '96 Classic, which came with the OHC, the forward lights , in addition to the rearmost lights, operate when you open the door. The others don't work that way, and that's normal. I don't think anyone re-did the wiring, so maybe something the factory knew all along?

Now I know all the plugs will be different excluding the lights, so any info on where to splice would be appreciated.
thanks

I would keep searching for the other plugs. I thought I didn't have the black one at first, but IIRC it was tucked up in the dash under the glove box--really had to dig for it. The flat green one I think is for the keyless entry and it came up from under the carpet to the kick panel area, so maybe pull the carpet back real good.

My '92 had no electric niceties, and it had the kickpanel plug and the plug up-front for the outside temp sensor. In fact, three of our four didn't come with OHC, yet all had the necessary harness. I've used the front sensors from MOPAR minivans, as they also have the correct plug. The only thing that I don't understand about the whole OHC deal is in my son's '96 Classic, which came with the OHC, the forward lights , in addition to the rearmost lights, operate when you open the door. The others don't work that way, and that's normal. I don't think anyone re-did the wiring, so maybe something the factory knew all along?

Haha, I guess there are no rules then! That's good to know. FWIW, only my rear OHC lights come on when you open the door. I used to have a 94 Sport that came with OHC from the factory and it operated the same way.

cool
what is this PDC?
if the green one is for remote entry, i don't think my '93 with manual locks and windows wouldn't have that plug.

Last edited:
PDC = power distribution center, the fuse box under the hood next to the coolant overflow bottle.

Oh yeah, that's right, you said no power accessories...I just wasn't listening. Just ignore the flat green one on the console harness then.

thanks that's exactly where i found the plug for the t-stat. i have the t-stat so that part is plug and play. the lights are plug and play. now i have to take the glove box out to find the black plug.

Back