• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best tire choice

this is the kinda thread where everyone says the tire they run is what you should go with.

personally any MODERN mud terrain is a good bet.

I have Pro comp Xterrain, if I was shopping now I would get the new MTRs from goodyear

X2 I run TSL's, but the MTR kevlar would be my choice for a DD..... Otherwise its INTERCO all the way!!!

i personally hate every tire mentioned in this thread lol(cept the kevlars)

I would go for the GY MT/R Duratrac or Kevlar.

X2 I run TSL's, but the MTR kevlar would be my choice for a DD..... Otherwise its INTERCO all the way!!!

Intercos for mud only. Everything else, I love my KM2s.

I'm not a fan of my Pro Comp Mud Terrains. Liked the Cooper Futura Enforcers I had. Wore good, had decent traction. Bridgestone Dueler MTs, wore out too fast. Dunlop Mud Rovers? Lateral traction didn't seem very good and they wore funny too. Had BFG ATs for a short time, got the used for free and for what little tread was left, they did good. Buddy ran old style MTRs and got lots of punctured sidewalls. He now runs the same Pro Comps I do and seems to like them, so go figure.

My choices are Goodyear MT/R Kevlar (currently have 'em), Interco TrXus MT (Had 'em), and an agressive AT in the Cooper S/T(had 'em).
Also, any BFG, MickeyT, Toyo...etc

What width are you looking at, cause that could change your options?-B

1990 xj 4x4 4.5 rough country ........any one ever run the bfg mt 33 9.5 15's ? Trying to figure out the goods...and bads... of the tire.....on stock rims....thanks

Go to your favorite off road magazine's website.

Type "Tires" in the search box, hit enter or click on the word "Search".

For extra fun, repeat the process on your 2nd and 3rd favorite magazines websites.

Post up what you find.

your BEST BET would be to go to your local dealers and see what everyone carries. get prices and try to pit them against each other. often times reputable shops will be willing to beat a competitors price.

rim size and lift size are a factor, as well as backspacing. consider your primary use for the vehicle... DD, trail rig, mud truck, rock crawler, etc... and then post specific questions about what you find. we will be of MUCH more help that way. :)

Don't rule out Maxxis Bighorns, similar tread pattern to the old MTR's and I've put about 40k freeway miles on them with even treadwear and no cupping. I had them siped and they've worked well on slickrock, sand and loose rocks/shale....fwiw.

Do you ever drive in the snow? If so, stay away from the KM2s.

I've put 30K on them and for every condition other than snow they have been exceptional.

Snow is another story. They have personally tried to kill me three different times. The first two I thought maybe it was my crappy driving but the last time I was with three other Jeeps. The only two with KM2s had the same problem. Going down hill if there is any type of side hill at all they will uncontrollably send you downhill.

your BEST BET would be to go to your local dealers and see what everyone carries. get prices and try to pit them against each other. often times reputable shops will be willing to beat a competitors price.

Goodyear offers a price match guarantee for goodyear, dunlop, and kelly tires. We will match ANY competitor's price on 3 conditions...you must have a computer generated estimate (not written on a business card), the competitor must have them in stock (sure I can sell you those tires for $85 a piece...oh but I don't have them, I'll have to order them and the price may change) and last, when matching from tire rack or any other internet site, you must calculate the shipping and the tire as the per tire price.

Back