• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacked up!!

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading my "new to me" FSM (I got an FSM for free for an 88 XJ, I have an 88 MJ, and the 90 XJ, so it's useful, if not perfectly accurate). I came along to "lifting points", as in where we can safely place a jack on our vehicles.

Since I have had the Jeeps, I've always jacked it at 1.) the rear pumpkin 2.) the shock mounts 3.) the control arm brackets and 4.) the frame rails . The FSM says the only approved places to jack the thing up are at the "frame" rails.

I would understand the frame rail only thing but if I'm just changing a tire or working on the brakes, I'd have to jack the Jeep the flippin' sky until a wheel came off the ground.

Where do y'all place your jacks, am I doing it wrong? Are there other jacking points that I'm not seeing...or is this part of the FSM/owners manual/safety zone that is just overkill so Jeep won't be liable for some dude using cinder blocks and a milk crate to work under.

You aren't doing it wrong. The owners manual says to place the factory jack supplied under the axles when changing a tire. Jacks under the axle to lift it up and then placed down on jackstands have not given me any problems in the years I've been working on mine.

Since I don't have my FSM with me, was the FSM talking about lifting the vehicle on a 2 post lift at a shop?

They mentioned the hydralic shop lift...and I get that. I'm just wondering if guys are doing this differently than I am...just seems logical (and I do use jack stands for anything more than changing a tire, I rarely actually work under a jack). Self preservation and all that!

The FSM describes using the frame rails for a floor jack or frame rail hoist. The points are just behind the LCA bracket and along side the fwd leaf spring pocket. It even says "Never attempt to raise the vehicle with the jack positioned under the axle tubes, body side sills or front suspension arms. Use the sub frame rail lift points only."

Oddly enough, the owner's manual clearly states to jack under the axle tubes, close the the wheel.

I always jack under the tubes even if the safety stands go under the body.

I always jack under the axles simply because my hydro jack won't get the tires off the ground if I try to jack under the body. Jackstands always go under the frame rails or forward leaf spring eyes though.

Back