• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb radio

what is a cheap cb radio set up? need cb, mount, cables and perminent mount anttanae

as always thanks

What are you calling cheap? You can walk out of just about any truck stop with a basic name brand radio (Cobra, Midland) , an antenna (Firestik or similar), and cable for under $100. You can use a mounting location that requires a bracket like the rear tail light location, or can merely drill a hole in the bumper or fender and not need a bracket itself. If you want to find mounting locations, search on NAXJA and you will find lots of photos and writeups on how to install the antenna.

I think I got my Midland on sale for $29.99 and have had it 3 years with no problems. Granted my father was a Truck Driver for 40 years so I learned young about taking care of CB's as they were the only lifeline truckers had for years.

Note that I purchased one of those $29 Midlands and it does great. I really like the weather feature and use it more than the CB. It is fine if you are wheeling with buddies in close proximity. On the bad side there are many times I can hear them, but they can't hear me. (They are running the more expensive Cobra radios)

CB's are line of sight, so keep you antenna high and get a spring. It has save my antenna dozens of times.

Try looking at a garage sale or on CraigsList. I often see lightly used CB radios for $5-15.

Any inexpensive CB from Uniden, Cobra or Midland will work as good as any other CB.

I've had pretty good luck finding nice radios at the Goodwill Stores, Salvation Army etc.

Try looking at a garage sale or on CraigsList. I often see lightly used CB radios for $5-15.

Any inexpensive CB from Uniden, Cobra or Midland will work as good as any other CB.

Got to agree with this, must see a couple or more every weekend my wife enjoys my company (drags me along) at yard sales, often with antennas.

my roof support peices came loose after years of abuse.. on hard bumps i hear my roof 'beer can'. i recently installed an antenna... thru the roof and the roof support, killed two birds with one stone.

For the best results, you need whats called a ground plain for your antenna. Basically a large flat metallic surface to mount your antenna. Sound like some place you know? If you are anywhere in Texas, close to DFW, I have 2 CB's. Both are Cobra's, both come with mike's and the stock wiring plugs. Reply for pics. Most truck stops are on the expensive side for most of the accessories for CB's since they know us truck drivers can't or won't go anywhere else... Wal-mart is a good choice for your unit if you have one closer then the truck stop. Only get what you have to get at the truck stop. TA's have the best selection on the extras usually, or a Bosselman, Any of the big truck stops, Flying J, TA, Pilot, Road Ranger, Petrol, they generally have a good size driver area with brackets and extra cable and fitting and converters and linear's :) for really reaching out and touching someone.

Back