• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

write up steering box seals anyone?

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96xj and the steering box leaks really bad. Even if the jeep is stationary for 10 minutes you can see a spot on the cement where its dripping. I bought the seal kit from rockauto and it has lots of seals. Is there a write up somewhere for doing the seals? I've looked threw about 10-15 pages of threads and cant really find what i want.

I hate to say this but go to pirate4x4 and look under the tech section from the front page. Billavista has great writeups. It isn't that hard but you do need to be careful. I had a senior moment building my last one and had to tear it back apart.

ok thanks ill try searching on there. i dont really use pirate because i can usually find what i want here. thanks ill take some pics during the rebuild so i can keep track of how everything looked. i also heard people messing up their clock spring if the wheel moves while the box is pulled but thats just on 97 and above right?

If it has air bags it will have a clock spring. Just don't turn the wheel when the box is out, it's no big deal.

yes, very important. You'll snap the clock spring and they ain't cheap, guess how i know :(

a t-shirt tied to the wheel and the brake pedal will help keep it from moving around too much, and take the steering shaft loose from the box before disconnecting the box itself.

I hate to link external sites when we have so much great info here, but I can't find the writeup i was looking for.

Between the two links here you should have all the info you need to see what you're in for. It's not too difficult, just time consuming and not much room for error if you want it to work right when you're finished :D

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_0801_saginaw_steering_box_rebuild/index.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869&highlight=saginaw+rebuild

yeah this website is great i have to stop being so broke and spend money on a membership for it. thanks for the links, tomorrow is gonna be a good day for the jeep. steering box seals, new yoke for the front driveshaft cardian end, and putting on the extended brake lines i got. its only a 3inch lift on it (for now) but they get pretty tight while flexed out.

No problem, most of us are glad to help if you're willing to take the advice we have to offer :D Membership has its perks, you're part of the NAXJA family and have nationwide help/advice to rely on, and it gets you a pretty sweet discount at most places that sell xj related goodies ;)

Like I said it's not that difficult just gotta take your time and follow the steps. the only real hard part is getting the little check balls in the right place and making sure it goes back together right so it will turn fully each direction.

Good luck, update this thread when you get it done so people can reference back to it and see any problems or anything you ran into when doing it :D

most of you guys know more then me anyway so any advice is helpful. i mainly just read around the website and learn from others and what their problems were. it seems like every problem there can be my xj has had so this website helps alot. ill (hopefully) have this updated tomorrow when its all done

The good part about this forum (for me anyway) is that just about everything that could go wrong with an XJ has been covered here many times. Now I've had just about every nut and bolt in my XJ apart thanks to this site :doh: It's been fun tho :confused1

Back