• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grand cherokee drum to disc upgrade

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am smitten and want to upgrade my XJ's rear drum brakes to discs. I am sold on going the Grand Cherokee route. Can anyone tell me a good place to get the parts I will need? The junkyards around where I live havent been helpful thus far.

Rockauto.com will probably have a lot of the parts, summit racing may also have some.

You could go the Ford route and get an 8.8 out of an Explorer. That will be a strong axle and will give you disc brakes.

The only swap I remember hearing about are the Grand Cherokee knuckles and brakes on the front...not the rear.

Moving to Mod Tech.

Ok so I am smitten and want to upgrade my XJ's rear drum brakes to discs. I am sold on going the Grand Cherokee route. Can anyone tell me a good place to get the parts I will need? The junkyards around where I live havent been helpful thus far.

Another option to consider are the disc brakes from a Liberty 4x4 with Corp 8.25.

Good idea, but good luck finding one.

At least around here, disk brake equipped Liberties get stripped FAST.

In which case he shouldn't dump money on it.

I could swear that the non c clip d35s and the 8.25s share brake hardware, but I am probably wrong on that.

I have a 87 w/ a D35 in the rear and the wheel cylinders just went out. I know for a fact that the entire drum assembly is rusted and jacked up. I am keeping a close eye on this thread. I would love to convert mine over if I could do it for the same price as replacing the drums.

I could swear that the non c clip d35s and the 8.25s share brake hardware, but I am probably wrong on that.

You can use the Rusty kit but.....
IIRC there is a difference between the D35 and the C8.25.
The hole for the backing plate where the axle goes thru will need to be enlarged slightly to properly fit the axle tube mounting flange and the location of the bolt holes require redrilling to fit the Corp 8.25.

Last edited:

that would work...IF he has a D35.

eeehhhhhhh. please try again.

You can use the Rusty kit but.....
IIRC there is a difference between the D35 and the C8.25.
The hole for the backing plate where the axle goes thru will need to be enlarged slightly to properly fit the axle tube mounting flange and the location of the bolt holes require redrilling to fit the Corp 8.25.

+1 ^he's right...that kit will work and is everything new, calipers, backing plates, banjo bolts, everything.

I know half a dozen people that have sourced their own together, to later say they wish they just bought the kit instead. Not saying everyone feels that way as it is a lot up front, but it's definitely a lot easier overall and good knowing it's all new.

I can see ordering the kit for ease of install and peace of mind, but isn't the toughest part of the ZJ swap getting the e-brake cables? I just can't see spending 500 dollars on a disc conversion. Guess I'm a cheap bastard :roflmao:

eeehhhhhhh. please try again.

+1 ^he's right...that kit will work and is everything new, calipers, backing plates, banjo bolts, everything.
well if thats the case than rusty should definitely update his webpage

I can see ordering the kit for ease of install and peace of mind, but isn't the toughest part of the ZJ swap getting the e-brake cables? I just can't see spending 500 dollars on a disc conversion. Guess I'm a cheap bastard :roflmao:

x2. I would much rather spend $500 on a built 8.8 with discs

I guess it depends on where you buy it! If someone local were to buy it, they'd save a bundle. :-x

Also, there are now XJ cables available.
84/96 use p/n DBC-05 (L&R side x 2)
97/01 R use p/n DBC-06
97/01 L use p/n DBC-07

The cables also work on 8.8 rear end swaps. Just came available last month.

Back