• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj coil springs on an xj

mtndew

NAXJA Forum User
so im working on my budjet lift for my 89 xj, Ive heard that v8 zj coil springs will add a little lift but i was curious how much, i just picked up an extra set of leafs and was gonna add just the main leaf to my pack which as far as ive read should give me about 2 inches. will the zj springs give me about that, or should i plan on getting some spacers as well?

yup... 1-2 depending on the condition of the springs.

i say get some cheap 2" polly spacers and install the coils. once you see how much more you need (if any) you can measure, take a belt sander to the poly spacers, and then install them to level out the rig.

Don't expect too much. I only got 1/2" out of mine.

cool, thanks guys. also are these springs a good choice? or is there any other better options? i know ive heard coils from an f-150 work but theyre pretty stiff, is there anything with a little more lift?

scary177.jpg

stack em and weld them together.
:D

lol that doesnt look safe... but awesome none the less. think im probably just gonna go with the zj coils and spacers. is there a range of years i should look for? i think i remember someone saying 93-98 or something but im not sure

If you want to lift a 4.0L XJ with ZJ coils...

...there are ZJ V8 coils out there that'll only get you a half-inch.
...there are ZJ V8 coils out there that'll get you roughly about an inch.
...there are ZJ V8 coils out there that'll get you an inch-and-a-half to two.

The trick is in knowing what to look for and knowing what you're looking at.

For maximum lift you'll need to look for a 98 ZJ Limited 5.9 or any 5.2 Limited w/UC.
Any 5.9 you find will have what you need. Congratulations if you do, they're rare.
On the 5.2 you'll need to look for the heavier looking springs/wire or the up-country
sticker/badge in the window. If no badge, look for a paper/plastic part# tag on the
coils- I see them all the time. The first two characters are letters. The first letter
needs to be a "G". If you can't make this out, look at the last 4 characters. These
characters are numbers. They will need to read: "8363".

The full part# you will need for for ZJ V8 maximum lift front coils is "GN 5208 8363".

(I suppose you could also copy the VIN# and request a build sheet from the dealer)

For maximum lift you'll need to look for a 98 ZJ Limited 5.9 or any 5.2 Limited w/UC
awesome that really helps out a lot! one question though, i was looking through rockauto.com, didnt see any coils for the 98 5.9 but there are several options for the 5.2 limited are any of those options the ones you were talking about?

the ones i was looking at were under jeep>1998>grand cherokee limited

V8 UPCOUNTRY coils should net 1.5-2" maybe add an extra stock coil spring isolator.
You can bolt-in V8 upcountry shocks as well.

awesome that really helps out a lot! one question though, i was looking through rockauto.com, didnt see any coils for the 98 5.9 but there are several options for the 5.2 limited are any of those options the ones you were talking about?

the ones i was looking at were under jeep>1998>grand cherokee limited

Stock 5.9 ZJ front coils are essentially the same as the 5.2 ZJ up-country.

This one looks like it's probably the closest match:

RAYBESTOS Part # 5871108 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=4.04" Wire Diameter=.578" Free Height=18.4" Load height=15"
Front; Four Wheel Drive (4X4)

Good luck!

Stock 5.9 ZJ front coils are essentially the same as the 5.2 ZJ up-country.

This one looks like it's probably the closest match:

RAYBESTOS Part # 5871108 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=4.04" Wire Diameter=.578" Free Height=18.4" Load height=15"
Front; Four Wheel Drive (4X4)

Good luck!
Not sure on the price, but would probably be better off getting an aftermarket pair of coils

Back