• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 ?

filterbiz

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just got an 89 xj laredo and has a 35 rear. i have an opportunity to pick up a 8.25 complete with springs for almost nothing. is it worth it to swap it out? am i going to gain that much? it has an open diff.

survey will say yes... more details would be nice though.

what drive train does the donor jeep have? chances are you are going to need to take the drive shaft as well if it has your same motor, trans, and transfer case. if not, youll need to find one that fits the bill.

what year is the donor jeep? this will let you know if it has 29 spline shafts or 27 spline.

things to think about: do you have ABS? is this a rig you wheel regularly? if not i would make sure your getting a 29 spline 8.25. also, do the gears match?

this is all assuming your XJ has 4x4.

wow not sure. just looked at the reg its an 88 4x4 4.0. i have no info on the donor jeep?
what transfer case and trans did this come with? anyway of finding out specs with the vin?
thanks for all the help, i am very new to this

If the donor is a '91-95 and has the 8.25 it is the 27 spline. If it is a '96ish + it will be a 29 spline 8.25.
If the donor has the 8.25 it does not have ABS but yours may and if it does it's a funky setup.

Also does it have the same trans as your rig manual vs auto? If it's an auto and yours is too then you will be fine...and vice versa. (read manuals and autos have different axle gears ratios).

It's worth the swap if it meets your gear ratio needs. Even if it is the 27 spline...which is still better than a D-35...you can convert it to 29 spline easily. All you need is to change the side gears in the carrier to 29 spline gears and then get 29 spline shafts.

you also need to change the carrier iirc, which means replacing the carrier bearings and resetting the carrier preload and backlash, but at least you know the pinion depth is already set right so it's easier. This only applies to converting a 27 to a 29 spline, if it's already 29 spline toss it in and run it.

If the donor is a 96, you can't tell whether it's 27 or 29 spline without popping the cover and checking. If it's 97 or later it should be 29 spline. Your driveshaft needs to be an inch shorter than stock to make things line up with the 8.25, you can't use the one from the donor IF it is a 96 or later due to the new transfer case output shaft design however. If it is a 96 or later donor get a driveshaft from any 95 or earlier 8.25 equipped 4.0/auto/4wd XJ, or if you plan to lift it 3-5 inches, use your stock shaft since the extra length will compensate for the lift.

you can convert it to 29 spline easily. All you need is to change the side gears in the carrier to 29 spline gears and then get 29 spline shafts.

You have to change out the carrier also!!

you also need to change the carrier iirc, which means replacing the carrier bearings and resetting the carrier preload and backlash, but at least you know the pinion depth is already set right so it's easier. This only applies to converting a 27 to a 29 spline, if it's already 29 spline toss it in and run it.

If the donor is a 96, you can't tell whether it's 27 or 29 spline without popping the cover and checking. If it's 97 or later it should be 29 spline. Your driveshaft needs to be an inch shorter than stock to make things line up with the 8.25, you can't use the one from the donor IF it is a 96 or later due to the new transfer case output shaft design however. If it is a 96 or later donor get a driveshaft from any 95 or earlier 8.25 equipped 4.0/auto/4wd XJ, or if you plan to lift it 3-5 inches, use your stock shaft since the extra length will compensate for the lift.

This extra length in the older driveshaft...would that be beneficial to me with a 3" lift with a 95 4.0/auto/4wd with a 29sp swap already done?
I swapped out a 27sp 8.25 if that matters.

Last edited:
The extra length is d35 vs 8.25 (or d44), not age related - 95-down vs 96-up the driveshaft length is VERY different, I seem to recall it being 3-4" or so difference but don't quote me on that. I know that a 95-down style one wouldn't even come close to fitting into my 98.

Yeah, that could be beneficial - if you know someone who has such a shaft, toss it in and see how it fits. Make sure you bumpstop appropriately and verify that the shaft will not bottom out when the rear suspension is at full stuff otherwise you could end up buying a new transfer case and transmission after hitting a good solid bump.

So, grab a driveshaft from a 95- D35 equipped XJ?

yep... you probably should measure first though.

Make sure it has the same tranny and engine as you as well.

Ken Stein...worth his salt!

Back