• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good write up on steering shaft replacement?

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
I am very irritated with trying to figure out how to get to the top bolt on my 90 XJ (4.0). Any good write ups with how they did it and tools etc? I am not sure how to get around all the junk without removing the brake booster and lines and such that are in the way :(.

Turn the steering shaft so that the head of bolt is facing the engine block, then come at it from underneath the vehicle with a wrench.

Be aware that to get the shaft out, since it doesn't collapse, the shaft that goes through the firewall does recess into the firewall some. Pushing that back allows you enough room to remove the steering shaft.

Turn the steering shaft so that the head of bolt is facing the engine block, then come at it from underneath the vehicle with a wrench.

Be aware that to get the shaft out, since it doesn't collapse, the shaft that goes through the firewall does recess into the firewall some. Pushing that back allows you enough room to remove the steering shaft.

Thanks :) Yeah i did it that way and used a long extension :).

I now am irritated at trying to get the replacement shaft on :).

For a simple in process this has been a pain in the A## :)

Back