• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power door locks

mtndew

NAXJA Forum User
so my power locks on my 89 laredo dont work. i hit the button and i can hear and see the lock trying to move but it's like its not strong enough to move the lock. so i was thinking that since i can hear it and see it try to move its not the electrical part so could it just be linkage or something? is this a fairly common problem, and is there an easy fix?

also on a completly unrelated note, i was wondering if any xj's ever cam stock with a spare tire rack on the back, the reason i ask is that mine looks pretty stock (or just really well done) but I've also seen a couple other jeeps around with the same rack.

The lock cylinders, lock rods/pivots, and door latches have 21 years of dirt and dried out lubricant in them. Use some carb cleaner to flush the crap out and lubricate the key locks with some gun oil and a light grease on everything else. WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Tire racks were option from the factory and the dealership had a kit that they could install

There is a fix posted somewhere involving installing relays to solve this problem . I did the mod and locks slam open and shut like a sumgun. Search for "greg's door lock mod".

You almost certainly need to clean and lube first, but I agree with cruiser54 that Greg's fix is the best thing I ever did for my '85 locks.

Back