• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 valve cover

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
I'm trying to seal the leaks on my 4.0L HO. Dealer says I need to replace the entire valve cover.. Jeep doesn't make a gasket and claims they are self sealing. Damn they want $480 for the OE aluminum cover...

Thoughts?

Hit a salvage yard. If memory serves me right the valve covers are interchangeable, you just have to change the attachment hardware or modify the CCV stuff slightly--no big deal.

Quadratec has their aluminum covers for $99.99--says 93-04 but as I said earlier you should be able to use the right hardware, the right gasket, and the hardest part might possibly be the CCV but that isn't much of a problem.

Good luck.

I was thinking you had the sheet metal valve cover--those were later hence the aftermarket replacements 93+; Doh!

You should be able to go to NAPA or (ugh!) Autozone/O'reilly and get a valve cover gasket.

The big difference is, if memory serves me right (not so frequently anymore) is that some used hardware with these little collars to prevent you from over tightening and squishing the gasket, so the gasket has larger holes for the hardware and collar to pass through. You can change the hardware and use the gasket that doesn't have the oversize holes, if that is what you have.

Unless I'm missing your point, and that is quite possible.

In other words, you can get a Fel-Pro gasket that can be reused, you just might need different bolts/studs--30 minutes at Home Depot for those.

Good luck.

I got ya ... if I use a fel-pro gasket it may need longer studs or bolts...

I still can't see why I can't buy the OE RTV sealer and reuse my OE aluminum valve cover... unless there's something about these covers that self destruct when removed.

I don't get it ... valve covers don't wear out.

No, your valve cover should be fine.

You can use RTV--I don't think you will be happy with the results. However, if you prep the surfaces right, follow the directions and get a good even bead (hard), let it set up properly in the right temperature before trying to put the valve cover back on it can work.

And you are right, they don't wear out.

Good luck.

MY 89 4.0 has the resealable silicone gasket embedded in the valve cover.

FSM says to clean surface and fill any nicks with RTV to seal up.

Maybe that's why mine is leaking again after doing this repair a couple years ago.lol

Autozone for 91 4.0

Felpro / Valve Cover Gasket
Price: $5.49
Part #: VS50022C-1

The gasket is only about 1/8" thick, I would doubt the bolts / studs are too short.

Last edited:
The big difference is, if memory serves me right (not so frequently anymore) is that some used hardware with these little collars to prevent you from over tightening and squishing the gasket, so the gasket has larger holes for the hardware and collar to pass through. You can change the hardware and use the gasket that doesn't have the oversize holes, if that is what you have.

That is on the newer models, I have only seen that from 96 and up.

That is on the newer models, I have only seen that from 96 and up.

Thanks, I was thinking it was on the sheet metal valve cover years, but couldn't remember what years, so I figured to put it out there as a possible issue to deal with, but just a minor one. :wave1:

On both my 89's I use the fel-pro gasket. Both of them have the aluminum valve cover gasket. And we used then on the other 96, 98, and the two 92's. The only difference that we found is on the newer years is that there is two cross bars attached to the gasket as an alignment type of deal. Other than that they where the same.

On both my 89's I use the fel-pro gasket. Both of them have the aluminum valve cover gasket. And we used then on the other 96, 98, and the two 92's. The only difference that we found is on the newer years is that there is two cross bars attached to the gasket as an alignment type of deal. Other than that they where the same.

When you say newer years... from what to what?

Did the gasket for the '89 and '92 have the alignment cross bars? ... obviously since they have the OE aluminum valve cover which is what my 1991 has as well.

And if the cross bars comes with the earlier models, did you leave them or cut them off before installation?... need to make sure they don't interfere with anything if my gasket comes with an alignment cross bar.

also, did you guys use any sealer on the gasket before install? ... or did you install it dry?

All good info guys.. thanks.

If you get the cork...thats up to debate as some use alittle rtv some do not. I do think most of us will agree though that of you get the better Fel-pro blue rubber one that it goes on dry.

My 89's do not have the cross bars but I think one of the 92(so it might have been a 93) and the newer ones did. Its been a while since we did them all.

Back