• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different kind of tire carrier...

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
I'm thinking of making a tire carrier that mounts directly to the rear hatch so the tire swings up with the door. It would be semi bolt on. I know I would need heavier lift shocks and shock mounting points.

Am I missing any forseable issues?

Any input is welcome

thanks

I love how people shoot down ideas before anyone has tried them because they THINK that they wont work at all.

OP, go ahead and try it, get some heavier liftgate shocks, and let us know. I've thought of the idea along with dozens of other people, but I dont have a running Jeep at the moment so I havent tried.

I will admit, that it might be a little much for the fiberglass hatch and might be better for the steel ones.

What size tire will you put on it? What material is your lift gate made from? If it is fiberglass it won't last very long with the stress of the attachment points in a small location. If it is metal it will hold up a little longer. Without reinforcements internally neither will last long with the extra weight hanging off the back.

Craig

What size tire will you put on it? What material is your lift gate made from? If it is fiberglass it won't last very long with the stress of the attachment points in a small location. If it is metal it will hold up a little longer. Without reinforcements internally neither will last long with the extra weight hanging off the back.

Craig

My (fiberglass) rear gate is self destructing where the latch fastens inside the gate, With the weight of a tire on there too it wont take long

I tend to agree with the other posters but you might be able to create a rack that hinges similarly to the hatch and locking onto the bumper, the hardest part would be mounting lift shocks to keep the weight off the hatch.

Aftermarket bumper?

I wa actually thinking of spreading the load out a bit. Four to six attatchment points. One at each corner of the door at least. Deffinately not like a stock wrangle tire mount. Im going to get on it. It will most likely be made out of 1.5 box stock and I will be mounting a 35" on a Toyota 15 x 7 inch rim

And I agree this would be to much for a fiber hatch. But I have a 97. But I do wonder if it wound add any ridgidity to a fiberglass gate if it was somehow tied into the hinges and latchplate

Just a bad idea,lifting it would be a PITA and I would be more concerned what will happen when you land on it(I see a really fubar'ed hatch in your future).

Little off topic, but has anyone ever SEEN the OEM rooftop gutter mount spar tire carrier that was available for the later model XJs?

From the 2001 Parts catalog:

220 3257 J, T 72, 74 CARRIER KIT, Tire-Roof Rack
Mount

Why do I keep seeing : (just a joke)

Removes tire, tire falls on foot, bends forward in pain just in time for hatch with 50 lbs of extra force (tire removed)to swing up and clobber face and continue up and fold over on to top of roof rack.
-------------------------------------
Much to consider. REALLY think it out fully first. And be CAREFULL!.

Probably better to spend time/effort on another project with more usefulness/value.

Good Luck,
Orange

Here is my unfinished take on the idea. I will be using 2 close assist or "traction" springs to pull it up. I know they will have to have a rediculous amount of pull, but I hope for it to be able to lift a 35" on a steel wheel. I am on 33"s right now.

MyJeep005.jpg

MyJeep003.jpg

MyJeep001.jpg

MyJeep007.jpg

I wouldn't try it on a fiberglass hatch but that's up to you. Think it would be a better idea to make the hatch swing out to the side and mount the tire carrier the same way. I don't think you'll be able to find a set of shocks strong enough to lift the hatch with the tire on it either, I may be wrong but I've never seen one from the factory ever so I'm guessing it won't work. The only ones I've ever seen with the tire mounted to the hatch have all been swing outs.

I was thinking about mounting my spare to the rear hatch of my 99 xj. Then I realized that I would be unable to open the hatch because the tire covered the handle lol. You might be able to do it with a 28" tire or something like that.

I wanna see this. Not because I wanna do it, I just want to see how it turns out. I have a tire carrier bumper so I'm good.

I wanna see this. Not because I wanna do it, I just want to see how it turns out. I have a tire carrier bumper so I'm good.

x2

Here is my unfinished take on the idea. I will be using 2 close assist or "traction" springs to pull it up. I know they will have to have a rediculous amount of pull, but I hope for it to be able to lift a 35" on a steel wheel. I am on 33"s right now.

MyJeep005.jpg

MyJeep003.jpg

MyJeep001.jpg

MyJeep007.jpg

That style makes sense, but for the other way, no matter how many bolts you put through the hatch its still just sheet metal. If you want it to work make a back plate and put bolts through into that. Only option that will work when attaching to the hatch

Last edited:
I hang 300 pound speakers over peoples heads for a living. I know how to make it secure. There will be no problems with it ripping sheet metal. It will also be mounted high so I don't think I'll be dropping in on it. Not down low like stock. So most of the weight will be near or as close to the top of the door as I can get it without interfering with my planned roof rack.

I saw your build on cherokeeforum Ritter and that's kind of what spawned this idea.

I think I'm just going to have to do it just to prove it to the skeptics. I think it will work. The only uncertainty i have is with the struts and strut mounting points.

Does anyone know where I can get some beefier struts?

I've got lift shocks in the catalog at work that are rated for 350lbs each, one of my customers orders them to hold up steel shelving he builds to be used as temporary work areas on the service trucks he maintains. he says they're so strong that you have to put your entire weight on them to push them down and the shelves he builds weigh 220lbs.

I say go for it. build your own hatch with a steel frame and a 1/8" thick skin with the tire sunk halfway in and out, I think that would look bitchin :D

Back