• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
Awhile back my D35 went KABOOM so I replaced it with a free C8 1/4 but it had different gears than the front. I just got a little money and was gonna get another axle with same ratio as front. Was looking and a junkyard close to me sells any rear axle ass for about 100$ I was thinking (Heck if Im buying an axle maybe I should just do an 8.8 with disc brakes) what do yall think I know the 8.8 requires fab work to make it fit in. But It would be cheaper now to get 8.8 with disc brakes ( wich I have always wanted) than converting a 8 1/4 later to disc brakes. what are yalls thoughts on this?

Get the C 8.25 you are looking at, and at the same time you're at the J-yard, pull a set of calipers and brackets off of a G-cherokee with rear disk. Find yourself a die-grinder with a good grinding bit to take care of the bracket mount. Its ALOT easier to do the swap off the truck while you have the time to mess with it than "hurry, hurry, gotta get it done so I can drive it". I've done the swap from drums to disc on my 8.25 and its WELL worth it. And you technically dont have to swap prop valve. Just the MC for more fluid flow in general.

Why would you spend the time to install the C8.25 when you could do what you want to do the first time. ALL you have to do is weld new spring perches on the top. It MIGHT cost 20 bucks to have a shop do that... I don't think I have to say that the 8.8 is A LOT stronger!

Do it right the first time! 8.8

Get the C 8.25 you are looking at, and at the same time you're at the J-yard, pull a set of calipers and brackets off of a G-cherokee with rear disk. Find yourself a die-grinder with a good grinding bit to take care of the bracket mount. Its ALOT easier to do the swap off the truck while you have the time to mess with it than "hurry, hurry, gotta get it done so I can drive it". I've done the swap from drums to disc on my 8.25 and its WELL worth it. And you technically dont have to swap prop valve. Just the MC for more fluid flow in general.

I already have the 8.25 I need a new axle for the gears to match

First off, what ratio is the front axle? If you can find an 8.8 with the same ratio it's going to be cheaper and only a little more work than swapping out the C8.25.

I was thinking about going 4.10's because I want to run 33's but Im on a very limited budget and it would be very expensive to get the 4.10 8.8 get it installed and then get a 4.10 D30

Back