• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liftgate Strut Mount?

White Knuckle

NAXJA Forum User
1989 XJ. One of my mount posts came loose a while back and has been welded. Along with the welds coming loose, the spherical ball part has become worn and the strut will pop off when I open the liftgate.

Where can I buy a new post? Dealer doesn't have a part # (not surprised).

First of all, the dealer is an idiot and the part number is 5500 1430. It's shown in figure 23A-3900 if they can't find it or don't believe you, item 16.

Second... I unfortunately doubt you'll be able to screw a new one in if the old one was welded.

I would pick one up at the junkyard, they won't charge you more than a dollar or two and probably will look at you funny and tell you to just take it.

Parts catalog says you can get one out of any 84-96 and it will be the same exact part.

Have you checked the HELP section at your local auto parts store.
I checked thru Rock Auto Parts online and couldn't find any reference to the part.
If all else fails..... you can always cruise thru the local junk yard; I am sure you will find them there.... They should be the same throughout the model years....

not a great answer, but always a possibility:

I wandered the boneyard and found a vehicle that used the same style ball stud that had a bolt-on style bracket attached to it. I could have pulled it and used it, but I ordered a new lift support for that style vehicle and used the new bracket-- If I wasn't such an absentminded schmuck, I'd have written down the type of vehicle for you (and me, next time).......

P.S. welded the bracket with a couple tacks instead of trying to get it snug with bolts

Are you referring to the one on the pillar or the hatch? Does it pop off both sides or just off the loose one?

I went (am still going) through the same thing on the pillar.

If it's been loose for a while, the hole has wallowed out a bit and the ball head is no longer in proper alignment. When you open the hatch, the strut angle to the post becomes too great and pops off.

Of course, the retaining clips could be bent as well and not holding tight enough.

I removed both side trim pieces to determine what angle the post needed to be at, using the good side as a reference. Not having a welder, I used several short, sheet metal screws of different diameters to "wedge" the post into the hole at the right angle. Got a new strut and reversed it so the "fat end" snapped over the post.

I intended this to be a temp fix until I could either get it welded but it's held up fine for nearly 2 years now.

It's actually the same ball post on both sides according to the parts catalog (says 4 are required and lists both ends as item 16) - I wasn't expecting that.

About 5 years ago I found my ball stud had been worn to the point of being ineffective and the strut wouldn't stay on. Also, the threads cross threaded so badly that even if I got a new one it wouldn't screw in.

So, I got this:

000_0002_edited.jpg

I took the plastic surround off the gate area and installed this with a couple sheet metal screws. Been working fine since. Once again NAPA Help section.

So, is there a Napa PN for this?

Back