• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start please help

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
So I started my jeep (86 wagoneer with 4.0L from 88 Cherrokee) and let it run for a little while. Then I turned it off, did a few things (not related to my jeep) and went back and turned the key and I could hear the fuel pump power on and the dash lights came on but the engine does nothing not even a click, I have replaced the Neutral Safety switch already so that isn't the problem. I have checked all the cabin fuses and they are all o.k. I also hooked up some jumper cables to make sure I had good voltage and still nothing. Any Ideas of things I can try to get it running again.

Path is key, ignition switch, starter relay, starter-solenoid.

Ok. Key OFF, transmission in PARK, parking brake set. Now, jump power from the main positive cable where it attaches to the solenoid to the terminal where the wire from the starter relay attaches to the solenoid. IF THE ENGINE CRANKS, that means the battery, the main cables, the starter-solenoid are all GOOD.

Post up what you find.

So, for three days I went out to my jeep and tried to start it and nothing, I made this post. Then I got your suggestions to try so I went out and turned the key and still nothing then I jumped the starter and the engine turned over, then I turned the key and the summa biatch started. Any clue, I guess as long as it keeps starting it's ok but you know its going wait to do it again when it's on the trail. Let me know. Thanks!

Ok, what transmission do you have?

Things I would look for would be the ignition switch out of adjustment, the NSS--neutral safety switch (automatic) or clutch safety switch (manual).

The starter relay might be bad.

Post up a little more info and we'll help you work it out.

if it works now, and didn't before, the starter solenoid, or brushes in the starter are going bad.

replace the starter.

Check/test/adjust your way to the answer.

Its cheaper that way.

Both my jeeps do this, one is a 89 and the other is a 94..Both have autos..I have done everything i could think of, so i said screw it and installed starter buttons..This gets used atleast once a month..
If you find a fix please post it up..
Thank you..

it's usually the neutral safety switch being corroded or out of adjustment.

Ok I just replaced the NSS but it still needs adjustment. I assumed it wasn't this because it started fine and I did not move the gear shifter and then I tried to start and nothing. I'm going to adjust the NSS install a NSS bypass switch and replace the starter. I feel that between the three it will fix the problem and the bypass switch will be a backup just in case. Any other ideas of things to check would b great!

To adjust it, put ebrake on, key on, shifter in reverse. climb under and adjust until th reverse lights work.

No, the back up lights don't need the parking brake set, that is just a safety measure with the key in the ON position (engine not running) and the transmission in REVERSE--just block the wheels so it can't roll over you and ruin your day.

Good luck.

This is one of those easy things to test.

12 volt test light--probe the wire that runs from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. Turn key to START--does the light come on but the engine doesn't crank--that tells you the ignition switch is passing voltage to the starter relay, that the NSS is providing the starter relay with a ground so it will energize, and that the starter isn't cranking--that means the starter-solenoid is crap or the main cables won't carry the amperage to run the starter.

If you don't get a light in the scenario above, then move to the supply side of the starter relay and see if the ignition switch is providing power to the relay. If it is, then the ignition switch is Ok--if it isn't, then test the harness from the starter relay to the ignition switch, and if that is Ok then its the ignition switch.

If you are getting power to the supply side of the starter relay from the ignition switch, but the relay is not passing the power to the solenoid, then the relay is bad or the NSS is not providing the ground.

Simple 12 volt test light kind of stuff here.

Good luck.

Back