• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96-01 4runner hatch on a 97+ XJ???

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
So im sitting in traffic today and had a 4runner in front of me. I saw him roll his rear hatch window down and his dogs head pops out stoked on the extra air. It made me really want a rear hath window that would roll down. The rear hatch from a 96-01 4runner looks pretty much the same as a 97+ xj's. Even the tail light cut outs. So, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible or has seen this conversion before? of course it would need new latches and strut mounts but im willing to make the necessary mods to have a rear window that goes down! Thanks for the help!

-Nick

i highly doubt it would be a close fit

i would probably head to a salvage yard with a tape measure to see if it is feasable first.

for some people a loose fit might be fine. but i would want all weatherstripping to line up nice and seal and the body lines perfect. anything is possible with a certain amount of modification though. just gotta ask yourself if its worth it or not.

IIRC,its been done with a GC hatch.

did the GC hatch have a movable window though?

They are pretty close....

It would be interesting to try.

2820ygk.jpg

10f460h.jpg

No way dude. The XJ and 4Runner are two different vehicles. What are the odds that Toyota and Chrysler would happen to make two compatible tailgates? Look at the angles, they are totally different. Even a few millimeters difference will make it not fit, and we're talking inches difference here.

Plus the styling is a complete mismatch. Boxy 80s vs blobby 90s

BTW, those opening rear windows are a safety hazard. The vacuum at the rear will suck exhaust fumes upward and into the cabin. That's why 4Runners have that wing above the window, to pull air down and deflect fumes away from the window... But below a certain speed that wing does nothing

BTW, those opening rear windows are a safety hazard. The vacuum at the rear will suck exhaust fumes upward and into the cabin. That's why 4Runners have that wing above the window, to pull air down and deflect fumes away from the window... But below a certain speed that wing does nothing

BUT.... below a certain speed there is no vacuum.

Interesting concept, you would probly be better off trying to graft the window mechanism and some of the sheet metal into an existing hatch. You've got a 97 I assume so you should be able to do it. Metal is much easier to massage than fiber is.

BUT.... below a certain speed there is no vacuum.

Interesting concept, you would probly be better off trying to graft the window mechanism and some of the sheet metal into an existing hatch. You've got a 97 I assume so you should be able to do it. Metal is much easier to massage than fiber is.

I could care less about any fumes. Ya i have an extra hatch from my old 97 (i have a 99 now). I'm thinking about modifying it. Who knows, if i can make it work I might be able to make kits or something for others to do it :)

Back