• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10.5 fit on stock steel Sport wheels?

Jeepindog

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 31x10.5" tire fit a stock Sport steel wheel, and will it then fit into the fender wells with a RE 3.5" lift? I'm wondering about the backspacing now. Thanks for the kind words.

Lachlan

i have read that they will fit the stock wheels and will clear, you may have to adjust the turn stops. I am going to be mounting my tires on my stock ecco wheels as well and wish i had already done so, so i could give you a deffinate answer

Buddy of mine has 31 x 10.50 on his 94 XJ on stock wheels and rubs the control arms but nothing else... Although he does have a small amount of fenders trim...

i ran 32x11.5 MT/Rs for a while on stock sport rims. i rubbed the control arms when at full turn. when i got some JKS quicker discos things got more interesting. i had them zip tied to my tow hook brakets and when i tried to turn, the wheels ripped them from the zip ties. then i had the discos flopping arround for a while unknowingly and that caused some minor damage.

then went to aftermarket wheels with 4 inch bs, and rubbed the flares. i remedied that with a trim.

in summary- yes it will work. no, its not the best. you will rub control arms and discos.

I ran 31x10.5's on stock rims stock and with 3" of lift.
Fenders were never and issue for me, but they did rub on the control arms and the stock steering skid.
I imagine an XJ rubs in the rear, I've got an MJ, so I can't attest to anything but the front fenders.

Sounds like it will be alright. A little rubbing is ok. It's gonna be a daily driver, so I'll probably just adjust the steering stops with a washer, or just tought it out til we pick out some wheels (if needed.)

Thanks for all of the really fast answers!!!

2000 with stock wheels (painted), 31x10.5" tires, & 3.5" RE lift. Who cares if they rub a little? The RE lower arms are round tube. Doesn't hurt anything if they do. These only rub at the extreme ends of the steering radius. It's barely noticable.
black2.jpg

If I have my seering locked all the way left or right I'm not going very fast anyway.

those are WJ arms, they require slight modification to fit in the XJ LCA pockets.

I have 31x10.5's on my '87 with a 3" Rancho lift. It does make some contact with the radius arms, but that hasn't really bothered me. I have made contact with the uncut rear fender sheetmetal when flexed. Didn't damage the tires and added another 1/2" of clearance all by itself!

Those are nifty bent LCAs, but I just placed an order for a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit that comes with LCAs. Bah. Cole Trickle told me once that rubbin' is racin'.

Back