• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 -- Need help!

zPike00EB

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. you've helped me before and everything turned out perfect, so here I am again.

My brother has a TJ (I know, I know), and was having issues with the passenger side front axle shaft U-Joint. We tore it down, and during the process 1 of the 3 bolts holding the hub on broke. In additional to that, the damage to the ears on the axle is so bad and bent that a new joint will not fit. Being labor day, he has no way of getting new shafts, and we were wondering if the jeep could be driven in 2wd for ~150 miles without that one shaft, and not take damage?

Please advise,
Zach

pull the inner shaft out, stuff a rag in the tube to keep the lube in, reinstall the outer stub shaft(it holds the hub assy together DO NOT drive without it in the hub), and you're good to go. are you talking about driving with only two bolts holding the hub on? if so, just be careful, you'll *probably be ok, but there are three of them for a reason... ;)

Is there a way to get what's left of the bolt out of the hub flange? If you can, it's not an uncommon size. Even Lowe's has a nice selection of metric bolts, probably just not one with a twelve point head.

Back